should i leave the light on in night

rajs

Reaction score
hey, I now put my light from morning 8 am to 8 pm and then swtich it off at the night. The room where my tank is dark in the night,do the fishes need light in the night or should I not put the light in morning at all and then switch on the light from 6 pm to 6 am in the morning. Any idea, can any one share ideas.

dazzler

Reaction score
hI Rajs, a lot of people on fishlore have their lighting systems on a 5hrs on, 2hrs off, 5hrs on. my self included. My lights switch on at 10am off between 3-5pm then back on till 10pm. giving too much light can also aid in the growth of algae. Also it may heat the water up a little too. if you go to drsfoster website and look for lunar lights these are awesome (I wish we had them in Australia!!!!!) I know either butterfly or chikadee have them on several of their tanks. they just look superb( even more jealously here) what it is, is a light that the fish cannot see but you can they are in blue, green, red and white are relatively cheap. there is a post here that has a photo of the lunar lights somewhere I just cannot think where right now but they are cool because you can watch the fishs' nocturnal behaivour

regards dazzler

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yup agreed with dazzler. I have on tank on 5 on 2 off 5 on and one 4 on 2 off, 4 on since it gets more algae than the other. Some people go straight 12 on 12 off but it all depends what you like and if you are having algae problems. No you don't need lights on at night but you can have a moonlight if you want to pay the money. Yes I know chikadee has them, not sure on butterfly, I'll see if I can find the post for you. I just bought one but haven't set it up yet.

hmmm dazzler, maybe myself or somebody here can buy you one then ship it over to you and you can pay us for it

dazzler

Reaction score
chhers ATM, I am off to the lfs today. my main concern here with the lunar lights is the voltage. I believe you guys run 110v while here down under we run 240v. I am definitely keen on these lunarlights but will just have to check the price here on a voltage converter and if these lights will run on such a device.

sorry to hijack the thread

regards dazzler

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
In nature, fish obviously have periods of daylight and periods of darkness. I believe it's best to follow the natural cycle: give them some light during the day, and let them have darkness during the night. Believe it or not, fish actually sleep when the lights are off. Oftentimes, I take a dI'm light with me during the night, and I go to see my fish. They're all floating asleep - motionless. They're sleeping. I believe every living creature needs a period of rest, fish included. I think it's necessary to give fish light and darkness. I have my tank lights on for 10 - 12 hours, and the rest of the time they're in the dark, resting.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The lighting scedule with the siesta in the middle is used to combat algae, if you don't have problem then do what Isabella said. supposedly algae takes longer to start photosythesis than the plants so by taking a break you are keeping the algae from growing as much.

OP
R

rajs

Reaction score
thanks for the replies...it was very helpful..you guys rock....

New Threads