Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Should I Leave My Fish In The Holding Tank Or Move Them Back? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Nicalou, Apr 18, 2019.

1. NicalouNew MemberMember

My furniture was moved around and the stand my fish tank was on has been replaced.
    I set up a holding tank (plastic storage box with approximately 40 litres of water in it) for my fish with the heater, filter, decorations and plants floating. I decided it was the perfect opportunity to re-do my tank set up since I had to drain the tank anyway and had a snail population problem (they're starting to affect the filter) that I'm also dealing with. When I filled the holding tank I used the water from the actual tank, just syphoned the water from the tank into the holding tank, and when the water reached a low level moved the fish and decorations. Netting the fish wasn't the smoothest process, I guess it's a skill you learn from experience, but 6 of the fish seemed fine. My 3 otocinclus didn't take the move as well and seem very stressed, but the other fish have recovered.
    Fish
    Neon Tetra: 5
    Betta Male: 1
    Otocinclus: 3
    Water Parameters Of Holding Tank (tested today)
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: I didn't test this because I ran out of clean testing tubes
    PH: 7.5
    I use the API Freshwater Master Test Kit.

I'm worried that moving the otocinclus again so soon will just stress them out further.

2. grump299Well Known MemberMember

As long as they have enough room and not crowded the filter is on there so I don't see a problem with leaving them a day or so to settle down shouldn't hurt just cover them up darken the tub and they should settle down..

It wouldn't hurt to put a air stone in with them too

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2019
  3. NicalouNew MemberMember

Thank you. I'm going to leave them and hope for the best.
    I have thought about getting an airstone but I don't have anywhere to plug in an air pump. I have the filter outflow above the water creating bubbles.

4. grump299Well Known MemberMember

Ok that will be good just a suggestion I always cover them with a towel or something to darken and block any outside action to lessen the stress on then too

5. NicalouNew MemberMember

I'll cover them with a towel.

6. NicalouNew MemberMember

I completed the new tank set-up and moved the fish back. They've settled in nicely.

7. grump299Well Known MemberMember

That's great glad to hear. IMO I would leave the lights off for today no need to cover again and feed lightly.