Should I keep rams in my tank?

Discussion in 'Ram Cichlid' started by Fettuccini, Jul 24, 2015.

1. FettucciniWell Known MemberMember

I have a 16 gallon tank and would really like to put a pair of gold rams in it, but I'm not sure if it's alright to keep them in such a small tank, so I'm hoping I can get some advice. Right now all I have in the tank are a few cherry barbs, a cory, and some danios, though the danios are not mine and will be gone by the time I the rams would go in there, so they don't really matter. I have plenty of unoccupied hiding places in the form of a couple hollow rocks, driftwood, and a lot of (fake) plants that I'm sure rams would love to hang out in, so I don't really think that should be an issue. I've never kept rams before, so any advice on this would really be appreciated.

2. FettucciniWell Known MemberMember

Here's a pic of the tank right now, to give you an idea.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  3. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

If I were you, I'd rehome the cory too. They should be in groups of 6+, and I don't think a 16 gal has a big enough footprint for all 6. What are the dimensions of the tank?

I'd say the tank is a little small for a pair of rams too, but I don't have personal experience with them. Someone else will provide more expertise/better advice for that!

4. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Your tank is too small for all the fish you have. All of them require at least a 20 gallon long to live happily.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. FettucciniWell Known MemberMember

Well I guess that's what I get for listening to the guy at the store. I think I'll look into upgrading to a 30 gallon tank in that case, thanks.