Should I keep rams in my tank?

Discussion in 'Ram Cichlid' started by Fettuccini, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Fettuccini

FettucciniWell Known MemberMember

I have a 16 gallon tank and would really like to put a pair of gold rams in it, but I'm not sure if it's alright to keep them in such a small tank, so I'm hoping I can get some advice. Right now all I have in the tank are a few cherry barbs, a cory, and some danios, though the danios are not mine and will be gone by the time I the rams would go in there, so they don't really matter. I have plenty of unoccupied hiding places in the form of a couple hollow rocks, driftwood, and a lot of (fake) plants that I'm sure rams would love to hang out in, so I don't really think that should be an issue. I've never kept rams before, so any advice on this would really be appreciated.

2. OP
    OP
    Fettuccini

Here's a pic of the tank right now, to give you an idea.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  3. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

If I were you, I'd rehome the cory too. They should be in groups of 6+, and I don't think a 16 gal has a big enough footprint for all 6. What are the dimensions of the tank?

I'd say the tank is a little small for a pair of rams too, but I don't have personal experience with them. Someone else will provide more expertise/better advice for that!

4. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Your tank is too small for all the fish you have. All of them require at least a 20 gallon long to live happily.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. OP
    OP
    Fettuccini

Well I guess that's what I get for listening to the guy at the store. I think I'll look into upgrading to a 30 gallon tank in that case, thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice