Should i keep doing water changes?

Xerces
Hello, I recently added 6 new tetras and 6 corydoras (lost 3) to my 29 gallon tank, the tank has been cycled for maybe 8 months at this point and the readings were still fine as usual, then I got an automatic feeder and it was feeding way too much for a couple days until I finally got it adjusted right, at first I left the food thinking the bottom feeders would take care of it but after a day or two I started removing the extra food till things were right. I should also add that for about 2.5 weeks I removed the sponge filter i had inside the tank for months prior and only had the canister filter going because I thought that was fine for some reason, I believe this decreased the oxygen in the tank. The past 3-4 days my ammonia has been high, I've been doing 50% water changes for the past 3 days maybe 4 and each time i test the water is still 1-2 ppm. I added 3 new plants yesterday as well as added back the sponge filter and I'm wondering if I'm changing too many variables too fast. Should I give the tank a couple days to adjust or do I keep doing large water changes till I get back down to 0?

Stats as of this morning no water change today yet:
6 peppermint tetras
1 male platy
1 female platy
1 male dwarf gourami
3 bronze Cory's
3 peppered Cory's
2 zebra nerite snails

Ammonia: 1.0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 30-40 ppm
pH: 6.4

Attachments

• 20210603_105816.jpg
    20210603_105816.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 24
Advertisement
awilkinson871
Be removing the sponge filter you removed a good deal of your BB. It will grow in the sponges. Removing it reduced your BB so you created a mini cycle. I would do a water change with ammonia at 1 and keep an eye on it for awhile until your cycle catches back up.

Xerces
Be removing the sponge filter you removed a good deal of your BB. It will grow in the sponges. Removing it reduced your BB so you created a mini cycle. I would do a water change with ammonia at 1 and keep an eye on it for awhile until your cycle catches back up.
Makes sense, thank you!

mattgirl
Has your pH always been this low? The ammonia isn't as toxic with the pH this low but bacteria is struggling to clear it out.

Something I just noticed in your aquarium details. You started your tanks on my birthday last year. :)

Advertisement
Xerces
Has your pH always been this low? The ammonia isn't as toxic with the pH this low but bacteria is struggling to clear it out.
I believe it was higher before but I honestly haven't kept a close eye on it.

mattgirl
I believe it was higher before but I honestly haven't kept a close eye on it.
How long ago did you remove the sponge filter? If it has been a while and has dried out or you cleaned it after taking it out the bacteria on it has probably died off. Even at that now that you have put it back in it should help. Removing it removed a significant amount of bacteria.

I have to think what you are experiencing is a mini-cycle. I would hold off on the daily water changes for now. As long as the ammonia goes no higher than it is right now and with the pH being this low I don't think your fish are in any danger.

Xerces
How long ago did you remove the sponge filter? If it has been a while and has dried out or you cleaned it after taking it out the bacteria on it has probably died off. Even at that now that you have put it back in it should help. Removing it removed a significant amount of bacteria.

I have to think what you are experiencing is a mini-cycle. I would hold off on the daily water changes for now. As long as the ammonia goes no higher than it is right now and with the pH being this low I don't think your fish are in any danger.

Yeah the sponge I took I used for another tank, so the one in there now is a sponge that had been cleaned. I'm not sure why I didn't consider taking out the sponge would remove a good portion of bacteria. I will keep an eye on the readings and see how things progress.

Xerces

Would it be a good idea to start trying to raise my pH slowly? Or should I wait till the mini cycle is over I was doing some reading that sea shells could help in regards to pH. I did a 25% water change yesterday just because the test looked slightly darker but overall we have still been in the 1 ppm range, fish seem like their usual selves.

LowConductivity
Wait for the ammonia to process out. As it sits now, the extra hydrogen from the low pH is keeping the “ammonia” in a salt form (ammonium) that the fish don’t breathe. If you were to raise the pH now, some or all of the ammonium will convert to toxic ammonia (gas) that the fish can breathe

Advertisement
Xerces
Understood, thank you!

mattgirl
Would it be a good idea to start trying to raise my pH slowly? Or should I wait till the mini cycle is over I was doing some reading that sea shells could help in regards to pH. I did a 25% water change yesterday just because the test looked slightly darker but overall we have still been in the 1 ppm range, fish seem like their usual selves.
Since you have Prime I would be comfortable putting the seashells in the tank. The good thing about using this method of raising the pH is that it happens very very slowly. As it very gradually starts going up the bacteria will work better. Prime is going to detox the ammonia long enough for the bacteria to clear it out. If the ammonia is up close to one I highly recommend a 50% water change to get it down close to .5

Xerces
We're finally at a week straight of good test readings. And we're slowly working on that pH. Thanks again to all who helped.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Kate1018
Replies
Views
Cherryshrimp420
Replies
Views
Nourhanateout22
Replies