Help Should I keep adding ammonia?

suttont11

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm a couple weeks through my fishless cycle in my 10 gallon tank. I've been keeping my ammonia at a constant 1ppm but today I decided to let it drop to see how fast it would go away. After testing a couple minutes ago, my ammonia seems to be at 0 or at least very close to 0. My nitrites are still off the chart and I'm measuring at 10-20 ppm's for nitrates.
Should I keep adding ammonia until my nitrites go down and I'm ready to add fish? I hear that too much ammonia will slow down the development of bacteria that turns nitrites to nitrates.
What would you recommend? Thank you!

Lebeeze

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If you stop adding ammonia the bacteria that converts it into nitrites will starve out so, yes keep adding ammonia.

You can change some water out if you want to lower the nitrites but showing nitrates means you are on the right path to the end of the cycle!

OP
suttont11

suttont11

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Lebeeze said:
If you stop adding ammonia the bacteria that converts it into nitrites will starve out so, yes keep adding ammonia.

You can change some water out if you want to lower the nitrites but showing nitrates means you are on the right path to the end of the cycle!
I have another question for you. Right now, my aqua clear 20 filter has a mechanical filter sponge, a carbon bag, and bio max biological filtration. I want to switch out the carbon bag for purigen. Would it be safe for my cycle to take out the carbon bag, and replace it with the purigen chemical filter media? Also is it ok if I wash the purigen media with tap water before adding it to the filter? Thank you!

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom