Help Should I just stop?

Starflyr3

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi, it’s been awhile since I’ve been here, but my new betta just died yesterday. I’m not sure why, and I’m trying to decide if I should keep trying to keep fish or just give up.

Our first one (Rainbow Butterfly Celestia) lived for a couple of years, and when he got sick,i came here and figured I’d been doing it wrong. Multiple posts and 2 vet calls later, we came back from vacation (we had a fish sitter) to find him dead. The vet had suspected mycobacteria, but I didn’t pay for a necropsy. I got rid of that tank, knowing how hard it is to get rid of that.

We had a second betta in a second 10 gal cycled tank at the same time - Rick Ocean. He did ok for awhile, but eventually just seemed to fade no matter what I’d did. I euthanized him after a week of him suffering severely when nothing was improving (lying on the bottom, gasping).

I decided to give it 1 more go and got our 3rd betta, who I named Eye of Cthulhu, in the hopes he would be immortal. unfortunately, he started looking pulse a week or so ago, the started swimming very oddly (kind of like a dolphin “swimming” on top of the water using its tail... it was so strange), then started lying on leaves, the passed suddenly.

It’s a 10 gallon, heated, cycled tank, pH ~8.4 (can’t help that, it’s the tap), nitrites 0, ammonia 0, nitrates 20-40, heated to 80, with at least weekly 20-50% water changes with gravel vacuuming. I use Prime, and the API test kit.

The only thing I can think of that changed is that our city contracted with a larger, bordering city for water. The new water is less hard (12 drops vs 22 before the change). I’m not sure how to test for chlorine/chloramine, but we have an aqua sans whole house filter that SHOULD removed it. I know we started having to add minerals to our pool, which we’ve never had to do before, and it takes a bunch less acid to pH regulate.

would that be enough to cause the odd death? I had changed ~50% of the water the day before I noticed the weird swimming.
The pic is of him just about 2 weeks ago.

Attachments

Kjeldsen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A water change to 1/2 hard water and 1/2 less hard water could make a difference if there was fast pH drop, but is the 8.4 pH the new water or old? Or are they both 8.4? With softer water the pH should've come down some.

AvalancheDave

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All fake plants?

I would try doing slower water changes.

OP
Starflyr3

Starflyr3

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Kjeldsen said:
A water change to 1/2 hard water and 1/2 less hard water could make a difference if there was fast pH drop, but is the 8.4 pH the new water or old? Or are they both 8.4? With softer water the pH should've come down some.
The water in this area comes out of the tap about 7.8, but settles at 8.2-8.4 within 24 hours.

New Threads