Should I just give up on my hornwort?

Jojo205

I’ve had this hornwort for about a week and a half. Half of it is doing great, it has grown a lot, and it’s nice bright green. The other half is brown, hasnt brown at all, and the stems are pretty sparse . Not sure if I should just get rid of the bad half. The picture shows the bad half on the left and good on the right. Also there are some brown pieces of something in the green hornwort, it almost looks like poo? but not the poop i usually see from my guppies..? pic attached.

Also, I didn’t do a ton of research before getting it, is hornwort ok in sand? I just have a basic sand substrate. I’m not dosing ferts (can’t afford it ) but I overfeed a little, which should give them more nitrates? Current tank parameters are 0/0/0 lol but the tank is fully cycled. Can’t overfeed too much because i got snails with the plants and i don’t want my tank to be overrun with snails.

Last question, a little unrelated but i don’t want to make a ton of separate threads. What setting is best for plants on my light? there’s red/blue, white/red/blue, and white. I have it on the 12-hr timer because the only options are 6-hour and 12-hour and i wasn’t sure which one to do. It’s a hygger light

Thanks for all your help and all my questions the last several days.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 4B005936-1CB6-44F2-AA7A-30FDE2092A67.jpeg
    4B005936-1CB6-44F2-AA7A-30FDE2092A67.jpeg
    271.3 KB · Views: 22

betta06

mine did this too then died. I don't know what causes it though

Upvote 0

Nessaf

I would trim out the brown sections. It grows like crazy, so you should have plenty from the green sections shortly.

Upvote 0

RunsOnCoffee

I agree with Nessaf. Remove the brown sections. My hornwort always grew like crazy if I just let it float around in the tank without "planting" it. Whenever it got stuck somewhere or ended up with parts under the substrate it ended up doing poorly.

Upvote 0

Jojo205

I agree with Nessaf. Remove the brown sections. My hornwort always grew like crazy if I just let it float around in the tank without "planting" it. Whenever it got stuck somewhere or ended up with parts under the substrate it ended up doing poorly.
I don’t have a lot of room to let it float, I have a bunch of salvinia minima in the tank too and it’s only 5.5 gallons

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

I've come across hornwort growing in the wild many times, but I've never seen it planted. It grows floating or tangled up around wood and things. So, if you want to keep it planted, I think you will have to "uproot" and trim off the dead bits from time to time and replant the tops.

Upvote 0

Papasmerf73

I just trim off the brown sections. I tried planting and it died almost immediately. I attach some to a suction cup near the top so it doesn't float all over where I don't want it.

Upvote 0

Jojo205

Thanks. I didn’t know hornwort shouldn’t be planted, I’ll make sure to fix it next WC (i do them on thursdays, is that too long to wait?)

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

Thanks. I didn’t know hornwort shouldn’t be planted, I’ll make sure to fix it next WC (i do them on thursdays, is that too long to wait?)
Hornwort is pretty resilient stuff. I don't think it would be too long to wait.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
timfulmer
  • Question
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views