Should I just give up and rehome my cories?

Mii

so far keeping corydoras I've lost 5 and have 3 left. I've been trying various things to keep them alive but they just keep dieing. I can keep gouramis, otos, and apistogrammas just fine, but not corydoras. I don't want to get more cories because I think they'll just die too. these 3 seem ok, but I'm worried 3 is too small a group. should I just give up on cories and rehome these?

Lucy

Is this the first species of cories you have tried to keep? I have great luck with peppered cories but not False Julii.

Edit:
Instead of "first", maybe I should have said "only"

I think you'd be ok keeping them. Ideally of course they'd prefer a larger group but even with schooling fish, the school dwindles and we might want to change species.

Several years ago I got stuck on what I called the Cardinal Train. Every few years the school would dwindle and I'd get more to refill the school even though I no longer wanted to keep Cardinals.

Upvote 0

Mii

Is this the first species of cories you have tried to keep? I have great luck with peppered cories but not False Julii.

Edit:
Instead of "first", maybe I should have said "only"

I think you'd be ok keeping them. Ideally of course they'd prefer a larger group but even with schooling fish, the school dwindles and we might want to change species.

Several years ago I got stuck on what I called the Cardinal Train. Every few years the school would dwindle and I'd get more to refill the school even though I no longer wanted to keep Cardinals.
yes, but is that the right thing to do when I could return them and they'd be happier with a bigger school? one thing is that I've noticed bigger cories are easier to keep, so maybe if I get a few more bug ones I will have an easier time.

Upvote 0

bumblinBee

yes, but is that the right thing to do when I could return them and they'd be happier with a bigger school? one thing is that I've noticed bigger cories are easier to keep, so maybe if I get a few more bug ones I will have an easier time.
Hmm, something like this happened with me and cherry barbs. Bought a school of six, and four of them passed. Only one of which was from an identifiable cause. I also seem to have bad luck with gouramis, even though they're my favourite kind of fish. I've kept 3 honey gourami and 2 dwarf gourami over the past few years, all of which passed away within 3 or 4 months, without cause.
If you are really passionate about keeping this particular kind of cory, then I'd suggest you stick it out and buy more. If you're not super excited to keep them, then return them and try something else!

Upvote 0

Mii

Multiple kinds of cories have died.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

All i know is it is 100% your decision and your thoughts on it are the only ones that matter in the end. Unless your parents are making you get rid of them. But thats a different story.

Upvote 0

Mii

I want to do what's best for the fish. I'm worried I might not be able to keep them healthy here, but I might be able to, and rehoming a fish can also be stressful.

Upvote 0

bumblinBee

I want to do what's best for the fish. I'm worried I might not be able to keep them healthy here, but I might be able to, and rehoming a fish can also be stressful.
Then do what you think is right. I think as long as you've taken the time to check your parameters and everything is clear, then you shouldn't feel bad about getting a few more and trying your best to keep a school of them. If you think it'll be too much hassle to do that, then rehoming them is a totally acceptable alternative.

Upvote 0

Mii

Then do what you think is right. I think as long as you've taken the time to check your parameters and everything is clear, then you shouldn't feel bad about getting a few more and trying your best to keep a school of them. If you think it'll be too much hassle to do that, then rehoming them is a totally acceptable alternative.
I'm going to try to keep these three for a year and if one more dies I'm giving up and rehoming them.

Upvote 0

Nobody

There is definitely something in the water they won't like, or maybe the wrong substrate and it's stressing them (they like sand).

The whiskers are a sign of health afaik. If they are very short or missing I think it's a fungus infection.

I had only 3 for a while though and they were fine. I only have 5 now in a 240L tank and they are very active and healthy.

Upvote 0

goldface

It's up to you, but, as Lucy pointed, out eventually the school is going to dwindle, whether from disease, old age, or other causes; and when that happens you might not want to keep adding to the school anymore.

I'm currently on my last Ember tetra. It's been alone for nearly a year now, and I certainly don't feel obligated to rehome it. For one, I don't want to get anymore Embers and am ready to move on once the last one is gone, and second, I'm not going to rehome a fish that's about 5 years old and likely doesn't have many more years left (it's actually doing very well).

Upvote 0

Coradee

In this case as you seem quite disheartened (I do know how that feels having just lost a whole group of pygmies) , I‘d suggest not getting any more corys, although not ideal in numbers 3 is better than 1 & if those 3 are healthy then I’d leave things as they are.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
darkcat
  • Question
Replies
Views
darkcat
  • Question
Replies