Should I Increase Alkalinity And Ph?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colleen B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi guys - never tested for alkalinity until just recently because liquid test kit doesn't come with kh or gh tests. Finally got some new tests.

My 60g angel tank is reading:
Nitrate 20
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
GH 75
KH 20
Ph 6.2

I know my KH is low and ph a little bit low, though angels prefer softer slightly acidic water they're still too low I think. What are your thoughts?

Edit: posted this in saltwater thread by accident. Dont know how to move it.

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think you have "fantasy" water for fish keepers that want a South American Cichlid set up. Discus keeping would be a breeze.
Adjusting water parameters can be a rebounding nightmare. Unless you notice a decline in your Angel's health, probably not a good idea to change things up.
With softer water you do have to be careful about PH crashes, but with regular tank maintenence that seldom occurs.

OP
Colleen B

Colleen B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I think you have "fantasy" water for fish keepers that want a South American Cichlid set up. Discus keeping would be a breeze.
Adjusting water parameters can be a rebounding nightmare. Unless you notice a decline in your Angel's health, probably not a good idea to change things up.
With softer water you do have to be careful about PH crashes, but with regular tank maintenence that seldom occurs.
Alright. Thanks! I achieved this water doing absolutely nothing but regular water changes and using prime lol. My other tanks test harder! Appreciate the advice. I'm just going to have to move my snails to another tank but that's no big deal

Last edited:
OP
Colleen B

Colleen B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Alright. Thanks! I achieved this water doing absolutely nothing but regular water changes and using prime lol. My other tanks test harder! Appreciate the advice
Edit: my mistake. I did use a "softening pillow" for 48 hours upon establishing my tank several months ago. Never used it again and surely I've changed all that old water out by now

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
you can add a small mesh bag filled with crushed coral. a small amount will help buffer the water and keep pH from crashing without significantly raising the hardness or pH. the nitrifying bacteria consumes CaCO3, as does the fish, plants, snails, shrimp, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Weekly

Votes: 85 68.5%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 14 11.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 21 16.9%

Top Bottom