Should i hadd one or two more bolivian rams?

Pandamanda2022

Hey everyone! I had two bolivian rams that had been doing alright in my 37 gal. But the blue gourami decided to get a real hate on for them and started chasing them relentlessly. So I had to move them to my 54gal corner that I was fish in cycling. I think from the stress of the gourami, plus the move to the new tank, and the lack of aquascaping in that tank the fish got really stressed out and stopped eating and lost all their colours. One of them unfortunately passed.

I got a bunch of eucalyptus root and plants for the surviving ram and have been putting in some flake, frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, and bug bites and she seems to be nibbling a bit here and there. The cycle is moving along nicely I got ammonia reading of 0 last night, nitrites were 0 last night and this am so I'm thinking of adding another bolivian ram or 2 from the LFS as a buddy in hopes it will help.

So here is my question. My ram is in rough shape, so I want the addition to be more positive for (her?) Than stressful, so do you think it would be better to

A) get just one male
B) get one male and another female?
C) don't get any as it could be the nail in the coffin for my ram in terms of stress

I'm leaning more towards B because the 2nd female may take less stress/pressure off my female, but also the two females may fight? Or I guess they could even both fight with mine? But if my ram did pass away then I'd already have a M/F that are familiar with each other.

Here are a couple pics. One is of my ram this morning and it's current state and the 2nd is of the rams at the LFS.

Attachments

• 20220728_065426.jpg
    20220728_065426.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG-20220725-WA0011.jpeg
    IMG-20220725-WA0011.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 2

A201

The deceased ram might have died due to the unstable water parameters of an uncycled tank.
Be a good idea to dim the lights & wait until the tank is completely cycled before stocking additional Rams.
You might think about adding a more substantial hardscape. Dwarf Cichlids tend to do better with rock caves, crevasses & driftwood.

Pandamanda2022

The deceased ram might have died due to the unstable water parameters of an uncycled tank.
Be a good idea to dim the lights & wait until the tank is completely cycled before stocking additional Rams.
You might think about adding a more substantial hardscape. Dwarf Cichlids tend to do better with rock caves, crevasses & driftwood.
Thank you! The ammonia only ever got up to 0.25 and that spike only happened after the first one passed. I seeded the new tank with some bio media from the 37g plus added stability to it and dosed with prime the second I saw ammonia and every 24H thereafter until I saw 0.

I did have a brief period where I was using 1 plug for the heater and the light so the temp was fluctuating slightly in the tank. I have it set to 25 but it was dipping to about 24, maybe one day it got to 23.5 briefly. Not sure if that could have done it... I don't think it was the water parameters though. I haven't lost any other fish and I have 9 cherry barbs and 6 longfin zebra danios in there. (I know wayy too crowded for a fish in cycle but it wasnt supposed to be like that and I've been on top of testing my parameters).

After I added the eucalyptus root, new plants, and a couple rocks to hold the root down I noticed after I put them in the ram was soo excited! Fins moving very quickly staring at all the new stuff. Then she pecked a bit at the root and rocks. I think the scape is helping her feel a bit more comfortable so shes eating a bit now. I just think shed appreciate some new friends it might help her get better.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Sankalpakc
Replies
Views
Nickel5
Replies
Views
FLEMMING
Replies
Views