20 Gallon Tank Should i give up on cories?

darkcat

So I have 2 cories in my tank. I had 4 but two of them died. One died when he was quarantining and another died after a month (including quarantine) I'm really disappointed in myself. Should I make the cories happy and get 1 or 2 more? Or should I just keep them like that until I feel better and maybe upgrade my tank? Thanks.

pagoda

Generally cories are huddlers...6+ to feel comfy and secure. They can live as foursomes but there is often a lower percentage of male/female mix and they can get slightly more stressed out which in turn seems to trigger illness more easily.

Depending on the size of your aquarium, 6 would be a better group number. Some variants can be a little more tetchy than others where keeping them happy and healthy, so maybe try Albino, Bronze or Pepper as...in my experience at least...they are hardy, playful and seem to have a better survival rate in a wider range of conditions.

DoubleDutch would be the best one to advise maybe.

Upvote 0

A201

Don't be discouraged. Cory Cats aren't the easiest fish to keep. Most varieties are very sensitive to even slight variances outside required water parameters.
Cory's are a challenge even for advanced fishkeepers.

Upvote 0

Fanatic

It depends on the type you have, there is a hardiness difference across species, some being more tolerant than others. It's important to ensure you have the proper setup with suitable substrate, and that you follow proper cleaning protocol. They are the closest to the substrate, and first exposed to any sort of issue going on down there.

I only kept C. aeneus in my tanks, and I kept them in groups of 8-10 at all times.

Upvote 0

darkcat

I mixed sand and gravel. But have gravel more in my tank. Ill try to convince to get more of these cories. We usually do water changes once every 2-4 weeks. I quarantine them for about 1-2 weeks. I don't really want to upgrade my tank because I don't have the space for it. Do you guys think:
1 gzl
4 cories
5 neon tetras
1 betta
Would fit in my 20 gallon high tank without the need to upgrade the tank?

Upvote 0

Mlou

Seriously a 50% water change to a 20 gal is not very much to deal with. I bet if you change even 30% each week you will have healthier fish. Of course you should use prime or similar to condition the new water. Cories are not easy but they are really easy in a well cycled and clean tank. And you also should start with good healthy fish from a reputable store or breeder.

Upvote 0

darkcat

My tank is cycled. It took 2 weeks and a half. I checked my water with api master test kit and I just had:
5.0 ppm nitrates
0ppm ammonia
0 ppm nitrites.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PAcanis
  • Question
Replies
Views
ChrissFishes01