Should I give my fish away?

Coralite

I have a 3 to 5 gallon tank for a while now not really sure the exact size, anyway I have kept Zebra danios in the tank for years now in the wrong temperature as I never invested in a heater as I never properly did my research on the fish I had purchased. Anyway the last one has grown fairly old now and i'm planning to give him away as I cannot take proper care of him. The problem is he is around 3.5 to 4 years old and is under a lot of stress so would it be wise to still try to give him away as I know that taking him out of his tank and driving him to a pet store would cause a lot of stress for him.

Also would Petland be a good option for rehoming the fish or should I find another store?

MaximumRide14

If you can't care for him properly, then I recommend rehoming him. If you drive him to a pet store, use tank water in a Ziploc bag, which can be put in a plastic cup so it doesn't move around too much. He should be fine if the ride isn't excessively long. I've never been to Petland so I have no advice for that, but be sure to call ahead to make sure they're willing to take in fish.

Upvote 0

MissPanda

I thought they only lived 2-3 years. Do you want to get rid of him because you can't care for him anymore, or because he has no school? If it's because he has no school I say keep him and let him live out his life which shouldn't be much longer. All of us eventually are going to end up under schooled when we don't want a fish anymore and let the school die off. If it's because you can't care for him anymore I would let the pet store know of his age so they don't resell him. Maybe they'll have a display tank for him. Not really kind to another person to buy a fish that's going to die right away.

Upvote 0

INeedHelpLol

I think if u think he is truly suffering and in pain euthanization is always an option. But I hope it does not come to that ever.
All the best to you and your fish!

Upvote 0

trinity28

Zebra danios can live up to 5 and a half years. He could very well have two years left on him still. Do you have any friends or family that have fish tanks that he could go into?

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I am curious as to why you think he is under a lot of stress. I have to think you have been taking good care of him if he has been with you for this long. If you are thinking he is overly stressed because he is alone I don't think that is a problem. I am down to one pearl danio and don't feel s/he is stressed. Having friends might be better but it is what it is. My pearl is about 4 years old now and appears to still be going strong.

Please don't beat yourself up thinking you haven't done everything just right. There are no set in stone rules for fish keeping. As long as you do water changes and feed this little guy you are doing the best you can for him right now.

Upvote 0

Coralite

I am curious as to why you think he is under a lot of stress. I have to think you have been taking good care of him if he has been with you for this long. If you are thinking he is overly stressed because he is alone I don't think that is a problem. I am down to one pearl danio and don't feel s/he is stressed. Having friends might be better but it is what it is. My pearl is about 4 years old now and appears to still be going strong.

Please don't beat yourself up thinking you haven't done everything just right. There are no set in stone rules for fish keeping. As long as you do water changes and feed this little guy you are doing the best you can for him right now.
I have done water changes and made sure that the water was getting enough oxygen through the filter, but I have never added a heater or properly treated the water. When he was younger he would come out and play but now that he is older he no longer does these things he just hides and rarely comes out to eat, i'm thinking its because of the temperature and water conditions he is in.

Upvote 0

yeti79

Also would Petland be a good option for rehoming the fish or should I find another store?
The Petlands in my area don't even have fish

Upvote 0

trinity28

I have done water changes and made sure that the water was getting enough oxygen through the filter, but I have never added a heater or properly treated the water. When he was younger he would come out and play but now that he is older he no longer does these things he just hides and rarely comes out to eat, i'm thinking its because of the temperature and water conditions he is in.
It's probably just because he's older. Chances are, he's much better off with you than going to a chain pet store. They usually don't take proper care of their fish, and as bad as it sounds he would probably die soon after you took him there anyway. I would keep him, keep doing what you're doing, and give him the best end of his life rather than taking him somewhere that isn't going to care. Obviously it would be good for him to have a heater, but in my opinion your tank is still better than a store. Just my thoughts.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Danio's actually do better in cooler water so what you are doing may be best for him. Unless your home gets really cold in the winter months I have a feeling he is comfortable with room temps. Not every one has to use a water conditioner. Do you by any change use well water? If that is the case then using a water conditioner is optional. I feel sure his temperament has changed because he is getting older. If not using a water conditioner was going to hurt him it would have already happened.

I agree with trinity28 No one is going to know your fish the way you do. He is used to you and your water. Someone else may have different water and changing his this late in life may not be the best thing for him.

Upvote 0

yeti79

If it was a heat or water parameter issue your fish would have had issues a long time ago. Sounds like it's just elderly. I would keep the little guy and let him live his days out in peace at the home it has been in for so long

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TikiBird
Replies
Views
kimsch1005
Replies
Views
New Fish in Town
Replies