Should I Give Him Away

Lonefishkeeper
I have a big 11 inch Oscar that was in a 75 gallon tank but due to my mom being ignorant she got rid of it and now he is in a 29 gallon tank I want to keep since I’ve had him for two years but I want what’s best for him
IMG_0198.jpg

75g Discus Tank
I would try to find a nice home for him. 29 gallons is way too small for a large oscar.

OneLittleBubble
29 gallons is too small for an oscar

Aqua Hands
Where are you located maybe a member could take them off your hands.

OneLittleBubble
He's kinda cute the more I look at him, never really taken interest in oscars before haha.

Fashooga
I would rehome him. Call a LFS and see if they'll take him off your hands for store credit.

Lonefishkeeper
What is lfs

Lonefishkeeper

Image1524622686.873387.jpg this is a more recent picture he was 10 inches in the other picture he is now 12 inches

goldface
I’ve seen worse.

Lonefishkeeper
My local pet store has a giant tank that he can go in

Mike1995
I'd definitely rehome. With a fish that big, being in a 29 gallon it wouldn't surprise me if he jumped out or something crazy. Very little room to swim.

Lonefishkeeper
He would be the dominant fish in there

goldface
My local pet store has a giant tank that he can go in
Give them a call and ask. Don’t make any assumptions.

Lonefishkeeper
This is a hard choice giving my favorite fish away

The owner would love to take him in but I’ll give away a fish I’ve had for a while hard choice

JLeeM
I've heard stories where an Oscar can literally destroy a small tank. Like shatter the glass, tear equipment off the walls, and other fun stuff.

goldface
The owner would love to take him in but I’ll give away a fish I’ve had for a while hard choice
It’s your choice. No one can make you do anything—except maybe your mom.

DaleM
If you want what's best for him, then I'd rehome him. It's completely up to you, but I couldn't keep a pet knowing I'm not giving it the quality of life it deserves

smee82
Id get my mum to replace the 75 gallon tank

Lonefishkeeper
And she thinks he’s fine in their

Ok I want to keep him for a couple of more months I’m just not ready to give him up yet

goldface
Nothing wrong with that. I have a very laid back perspective on things. If you’re as attached as you say you are, I wouldn’t just rehome it just anywhere. It’s always best to think things through.

RonJ
Why can’t OP buy back a 75G. Why no one talks about that? Did I miss anything? Get your self a 4ftx1.5ftx1.5ft tank and problem solved.

goldface
I suppose it’s because his mom won’t allow it.

r_e_g
And she thinks he’s fine in their

Ok I want to keep him for a couple of more months I’m just not ready to give him up yet
I totally understand where you're coming from, but be aware that it'll be REALLY hard to keep the water clean enough in a tank that size, and what I've read suggests oscars can get hole-in-the-head if the water isn't pristine. I know you wouldn't want that. I found a young albino oscar in the pond outside my apartment last month and I wanted to keep him SO badly, but even a 55 gallon would be pushing it in our apartment (plus I know I'll be moving several times in the next decade) so I brought him to the LFS to hopefully go to a home that can give him the huge tank he deserves. It was so hard giving him up after only a week (I'll be honest; there were tears) but it made me so happy to see him doing well in a nice big tank at the store. I know I did right by him. Now I've found a second oscar in a different pond that I'm working on catching and I would really, really love to keep that one too, but I know he'd be better off somewhere else. It's so hard.

Lonefishkeeper
Sry I thought this topic was forgotten by now

I totally understand where you're coming from, but be aware that it'll be REALLY hard to keep the water clean enough in a tank that size, and what I've read suggests oscars can get hole-in-the-head if the water isn't pristine. I know you wouldn't want that. I found a young albino oscar in the pond outside my apartment last month and I wanted to keep him SO badly, but even a 55 gallon would be pushing it in our apartment (plus I know I'll be moving several times in the next decade) so I brought him to the LFS to hopefully go to a home that can give him the huge tank he deserves. It was so hard giving him up after only a week (I'll be honest; there were tears) but it made me so happy to see him doing well in a nice big tank at the store. I know I did right by him. Now I've found a second oscar in a different pond that I'm working on catching and I would really, really love to keep that one too, but I know he'd be better off somewhere else. It's so hard.

Hm what is lfs

DutchAquarium
lfs is "local fish store"

r_e_g
Lonefishkeeper
I’ve decided again when my local pet store has an available spot I’ll bring him in because he would beat up the fish that are there

CrimsonTheRescue
I also have a tiger Oscar that is about 11 inches and he is being homed in a 55 gallon tank. 29 is way to small for that size of an Oscar I would re home him/her immediately.

And I know you love your fish but if you want what's best for him/her you need to give him/her away or if you have a friend that has a bigger aquarium or pond you can store the oscar in until you have a bigger tank that would be good to.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jenmur
Replies
Views
momiji345
Replies
Views
Fae
Replies
Views