30 Gallon Tank Should i give corydoras another chance?

So, i love bottom feeders and specifically catfish, and i keep hearing how great cories are, and then i get them in a group of 12 and they sit in my crypts and water sprite all day out of view. The first time i got them was in my thirty, and they sat in the corner under the watersprite. The second time was Pygmy cories in my 10, and once again they hide constantly. But i still want to get a bottom feeder, and their faces are so endearing. So should i give them another chance, or should i quit while im ahead?

Sitting in the corner means they did not feel safe. May be less light, less activity will make them feel a bit safer and dance around more. What are the tank mates? Water conditions play a big role as well. I noticed with mine that they were less active as long as the Betta bully was in the community tank and the temp was on the high end of their tolerance. They don't care for higher Nitrates.
What is the tank environment you are offering?

Sitting in the corner means they did not feel safe. May be less light, less activity will make them feel a bit safer and dance around more. What are the tank mates? Water conditions play a big role as well. I noticed with mine that they were less active as long as the Betta bully was in the community tank and the temp was on the high end of their tolerance. They don't care for higher Nitrates.
What is the tank environment you are offering?
Heavily planted (including heavy surface cover from duckweed/water sprite) temp 76-78, ph 7-7.2, no ammonia or nitrites, low nitrates, tank mates are scarlet badis and a colony of shrimp.

Did they all die or did you re-home them? If you re-homed them did you give them time to start feeling comfortable in their new home? Even as long as I have had mine they all run for cover if they see a sudden movement outside the tank. If I stand still all of them quickly come scurrying back out and go about their cory business.

Did they all die or did you re-home them? If you re-homed them did you give them time to start feeling comfortable in their new home? Even as long as I have had mine they all run for cover if they see a sudden movement outside the tank. If I stand still all of them quickly come scurrying back out and go about their cory business.
they're still in the ten; ive had the Pygmy cories for over a year, and the regular ones for three (which are gone now).

Not sure what the badis are like temperament wise (e.g. if they're bullying/scaring the cories) but with a lot of shy fish like catfish, you could use other more active fish to encourage them to come out.

A common/active fish like a tetra, danio etc... will swim in the open water, meaning it indicates to the other fish that it is safe to be out and about. In the wild, a big open space with no fish in it is a big warning sign to other fish to stay away (predators etc...). Obviously be mindful of stocking your tank etc... but its one idea.

I have infinitely adjustable lights on my aquariums, they are never on full intensity cos alot of fish simply do not like to be dazzled.....cories especially hide when the light is intense. So the lighting on all aquariums is at the lowest intensity that they will go....sort of cloudy day bright. The cories and everyone else is hyperactive, not afraid of sudden shadows cos there none. In the evenings and early mornings the lights are on cloudy day blue, on for an hour first thing and about the same last thing. Sometimes when the natural daylight is quite bright, the aquarium lights stay off altogether, as they are at night for at least 14 hours.

I understand the need for bright constant artificial sunshine for 8 hours a day when you have planted aquariums, but in reality, in nature that never actually happens, you always get some cloudy days. Fish are not always comfy with 8 hours of dazzle...that's my experience anyway, dropping the intense lighting and the activity increases.

I've had the same experience as OP. I've stopped keeping corries because they always hide. I've tried 3 types of corries and 2 different tanks. They have always been the biggest fish in the tank and I've I've kept them in groups of six. It's been a frustration because I love corries, but for some reason they prefer to hide. On the other hand, they (and their tankmates) have have always remained healthy so I didn't try to change anything in the tanks.

I've had the same experience as OP. I've stopped keeping corries because they always hide. I've tried 3 types of corries and 2 different tanks. They have always been the biggest fish in the tank and I've I've kept them in groups of six. It's been a frustration because I love corries, but for some reason they prefer to hide. On the other hand, they (and their tankmates) have have always remained healthy so I didn't try to change anything in the tanks.
If yours were always hiding then I have to think there was something in the tank that made them uncomfortable. My tank has open spaces but also lots of hiding places they can zip to if alarmed. Maybe you could try again but make sure they have lots of safe places to retreat to.

I have to think in there little minds as long as they have a safe place to go to they will come out more often. I have over 25 of them in my 55. They can all disappear in a heartbeat if startled but as soon as whatever frightened them has passed they are all right back out in the open.

My main tank is situated to where if I go from the front living area to the bedrooms or bathroom I have to walk in front of the tank. Often if I walk by too fast the corys scramble to hide. If I stop for a second or two they all come back out. In my case it could also be safety in numbers although it was the same back when I just had 8 of them.

Could be many reasons why there hiding. May just be they like the back of the tank. More food back there. I feed my fish some sinking pellets and they fall everywhere and this brings the corys out all over the tanks. Mine never hide and only hang in there caves when sleeping.

Latest threads

Top Bottom