Should I Get That 125g?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by tfreema, Apr 16, 2018.

1. tfreema

tfreema Fishlore VIP Member

Ok, folks, I need some advice here. I have been contemplating replacing a double stack 45H and 30g with a larger tank of at least 75g for some time now. Basically, I find it is easier to maintain one big tank than two smaller. Petsmart has a 125g on sale with glass canopy, led lights, and nice looking stand for $549. Should I get it and if so, what temp should it be based on the information below?

The current cooler temp (72 & 74) inhabitants of the 45g and 30g that would need to go into the larger tank are as follows:

45g

7 von rio tetras
    1 male common bn pleco
    6 peppered cories
    6 mystery snails
    1 bamboo shrimp
    ghost shrimp

30g
    1 bolivian ram
    4 lucippinis synodontis catfish
    1 male yellow blue eyed longfin bn pleco
    11 celestial pearl danios
    4 red cherry shrimp
    ghost shrimp
    2 nerite snails

I also have a cooler temp tank, 26g bow front, that I could do some rearranging with. Maybe move the krib and neon tetras over to big tank and put CPDs and RCS in this one??
    It is kept at about 75.5 degrees and has the following:

1 kribensis
    5 otos
    7 neon tetras
    2 nerite snails

I don't think the otos could be moved over to a tank with 2 bn plecos, even a large tank, due to being out-competed for algae. As far as the bn's are concerned, I could keep the smaller tanks up and running while the new one gets established with schooling and cories.

Could the 2 male bn plecos co-exist peacefull as long as I have the set up with them in mind as far as lots of caves and wood, rock etc?

For convenience, here is the stocking I propose to start:

1 bolivian ram
    1 kribensis
    7 von rio tetras
    7 neon tetras
    6 peppered cories
    4 lucipinnis synodontis catfish
    2 male bn plecos
    1 bamboo shrimp
    4 nerite snails
    6 mystery snails
    ghost shrimp that are surviving with a bolivian ram, but likely will not with the krib.

Keep in mind that schools (tetras) can be increased later. I am not sure I would increase any bottom dweller shoals. The synos should really be at 6 (I lost 2 of the group).

Is this doable? Do you see any problems with temperament, temperature, or food competition?

Thanks for any advice or considerations you can add!!

(BTW - the two I take down would be available for fry growout, but would not need to be set up unless needed.)

2. Ernest Sacco

Ernest Sacco Well Known Member Member

That is a good deal and I would take it

3. OP
    OP
    tfreema

Thanks! What I am most concerned about is the stocking since those are fish I already have that will need to be accommodated. There is a slight temp compatibility issue. Are there other issues I have not considered?

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I was thinking that's quite expensive (at least for my area), especially since you'd likely have to replace the equipment, and the stand is likely not a good quality one. Have you checked any used options?

5. OP
    OP
    tfreema

Yeah, good deals on used tanks around here are far a few in between, even when I expand to Atlanta. People think their tanks are made of gold or something. They just do not get that they will not get out of it anywhere near what they put in.

I am still searching though and may luck into one if I stay on top of the new postings. My main concerns are the temperature, temperament, and overall compatibility of that stocking list. I am trying to jam 2.5 tanks of stock into one and make it work......

6. TexasDomer

I'd move the bamboo shrimp to the RCS tank, but otherwise I think it'd be fine! Just add lots of caves.

7. OP
    OP
    tfreema

Thanks Texas! I am thinking a temp of about 73-74 which would get my peppered cories back up out of their optimum range.

I don't know if you remember the struggles I went through to rearrange and get them into a tank with a good footprint (were in a 20H) and at a better temperature range. But really, would 73 - 74 really be detrimental versus 72 that tends to creep up close to 73 with the ambient temp of the room anyway (constant fan blowing on the tank)?

8. TexasDomer

73 F should be low enough for peppered cories.

9. OP
    OP
    tfreema

Thank you! I really appreciate your advice!

10. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

Why does everyone think peppered cories need such low temps? Most sources cites 72-79°F with a few going as low as 65°F. I keep mine at 76°F.

11. OP
    OP
    tfreema

They have a very wide range of 59 to 77. Only a part of the year gets as high as 77 degrees in their natural habitat so that is at the very top of their range. You run the risk of shortening their life span by keeping them at the very top of their range all year round.
    Honestly, I have had the same conflicting information. AND this is based on wild caught fish. Do the same temperature rules apply to tank raised? IDK! I have just struggled to get some serious temp incompatibilities worked out and my peppered cories were one of those.

12. TexasDomer

If you look at how low their range goes, it's pretty low. The water they're in doesn't stay at the higher temps for long, and they're in the cooler water much of the year. So in your tank, you should keep them in cooler water. Higher temps will shorten their lifespan and increase their susceptibility to diseases.

EDIT: Ninja'ed!

With species that have such a large range of temps like this, I think it's even more important to keep them towards the middle of their ranges, rather than towards the extremes.

And yes, same rules apply for temps between wild caught and tank bred fish. Evolution and adaptations to water temps aren't undone in a few generations.

13. DarkOne

I kinda thought about the wild caught vs tank raised thing too and that might be the reason for the huge temp range. I got mine from PetSmart so most likely tank raised.

As far as the 125 at PetSmart, it seems it's on sale for $500-600 regularly and goes as low as $300. The good thing is that it's an Aqueon tank and not Marineland (I like Aqueon tanks better).

14. OP
    OP
    tfreema

As low as $300? I wonder when that happens?

15. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Keep in mind, PetSmart also does price matches. If you can find the same thing listed anywhere for a lower price, and show it to them, you might get a better deal.

16. DarkOne

I know it was down to $200 in some stores on black friday. I've heard as low as $300 since and the $550 is almost every month so not really a sale. Some stores just want to get rid of them and sold them for $300 too.

PetSmart and PetCo is pretty good with price matching but it sometimes depends on the employee too.

17. OP
    OP
    tfreema

My petco doesn't even carry anything over a 55g. They can special order a 75g, but it is not on sale for 50% off at any petco in a 50 mile radius that I can find by calling around. Then I thought, forget 75g, I want to go with 100+, lol.

18. OP
    OP
    tfreema

What do you think?

I found a 125 posted for $437 on Facebook market. Is that a good deal for a 2 year old tank if it is in great condition as far as no scratches, etc?

The picture is lousy. She says it has 2 biowheel filters and two canister filters, led lights, glass canopy lids, deco (fake, castle - meh), etc. The pic cuts off the top so I cannot see to confirm type of lid or lights. I am not a big fan of the color of the cabinet, but I could paint it black to match my 120 cabinet it would be sitting by.

She is about 40 minutes from my house so I am going to look at it Wednesday. It won’t hurt to look and find out how negotiable it is.

I am not sure if this link works for you guys.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  19. OP
    OP
    tfreema

@bizaliz3, when you are not working on getting baby black rams to eat, can you look at above deal and let me know what you think?

I also have had a couple folks reach out to me on the association forum. One has two 125's, but is about a 2.5 hour drive. Another says a 120 that is 4' dimensions. What does that mean? 4 x 4 x 4?? That would be one REALLY REALLY tall tank!! - no response on clarification of that or asking price from either one.

I may have missed a 65 gallon tall with nice stand and equipment for $65 by hesitating. It is also 1.5 hours away and does have scratches, but I realized after waffling on it, that it is the same dimensions as a 40b so the stand and equipment alone is worth it to have for fry growout - UGH!!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  20. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

I've seen the 125g set ups pretty darn cheap a few times at petsmart! Especially black Friday. But that is way too far away.

The used one you posted the link to.....I am not a huge fan based on the photo. You cant even see the top of the tank. Are there more photos I am not seeing? First and foremost, I would definitely ask for more photos. And how old is the photo? Was the tank recently taken down? Or has it been sitting in storage? I feel like you would be settling with this one.....What kind of canisters? I feel like that price is only appropriate if the extras that come with it are nice items. If you end up replacing filters and lids and lights, you are no better off. I have had lids from my used purchases end up being in pretty bad shape. Glass lids with cracks or missing chunks. Or the hinge is broken. You want to make sure that you will not be needing to replace any of the extras that come with the tank. Otherwise I don't think it is worth it. Ask for pics of the lids, the light the filters. And another shot or two of the tank would be nice. Make sure the center brace is solid. It could be a great deal if all of the extras and all of the parts are in working order and looking nice. You don't want to drive 80 minutes round trip to find a compromised center brace. or broken lids or junky filters.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice