Should I get Snails?

Status
Not open for further replies.

3aquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't want them to breed, but they are pretty cute. I also Don't have an algae problem, so I'm not sure what would feed them. They would be in a 75 gallon. Any suggestions? I like the mystery Snails colors but am worried about starting with 3 and ending up with a snailvasion.

monkeypie102

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The beauty of mystery snails is the lay eggs above the water line... all you have to do is remove the egg clutches and throw them away... presto no snailvasions!

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you only want as many snails as you buy, then go with nerites. Mystery snails aren't bad - they lay their clutch of eggs above the water line, which makes it easy for you to remove, so there should be no reason to get over run with mystery snails. I believe rabbit snails might be okay too. It's the ramshorn, pond and MTS that will breed out of control, if you consistently over feed.

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Pro's and cons to different snails:

Mystery's are great snails but won't do much for algae. Eggs can be controlled by taking them down if you don't want babies.

Nerites - great for diatoms and algae and they won't breed in FW. The only problem with them is that they lay little white eggs ALL over the place and they are very difficult to remove from ornaments ( easier on glass but a pain )

As for MTS snails, THEY DO BREED out of control even when not overfed. I have a betta tank that started with 7 of them ( I don't feed them either ) and they multiplied to probably over 300 since July.
Currently I have one Assassin to control the population.

My Nerites and Mystery snails eat veggies ( zucchini, pumpkin, squash )

kb9plc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I'm late to the party and most of everything I would have said has already been said LOL

However.... one other thing you should take into account:
How big do you like your snails or how colorful do you like your snails?

I personally would recommend Mysteries and Nerites.

But nerites stay relatively small. Mysteries can get as big (or bigger) than a ping pong ball.

They both are colorful.... by Mysteries are available in a rainbow of colors (some easy to get ahold of, some not so easy). Nerites have patterns: stripey, dotted, horned. But the patterns are pretty basic and are limited to colors.

I also agree with the above. I own both mysteries and nerites. Mine eat veggies of all varieties, algea wafers, and shrimp pellets. And left over fish food. They seem to particuarly like their zucchini and wafers.

P.S. 'snailvasion' LOL love it

3aquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks, I'll look at the mystery snails. I just need a well behaved ornamental snail with easy to implement egg control.

kb9plc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Well behaved. Hehehehe
Well someone should probably mention to you that nerties can often be escape artists. Jwebbe and I often find ours in our filter housing (if you have a HOB). LOL

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
As for MTS snails, THEY DO BREED out of control even when not overfed. I have a betta tank that started with 7 of them ( I don't feed them either ) and they multiplied to probably over 300 since July.
Their population is directly related to the amount of food available. It's a cause and effect relationship. I think you had the wrong idea if you thought that you would only have 20-30 snails. They will breed to the point there is equilibrium, so if you've got way more snails than you want, it's because there's way more food in the tank for them than you thought.

LyleB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I really like my Mystery snail. First one I've had, and the first snail I got "attached to". He/she seems to have personality, is very active, actually seems to play at times. He stays out and active all day, where the Nerites mostly hide during the day. I agree the Mystery doesn't do a lot of algae cleaning, but he/she helps with cleaning extra food.

3aquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I really like my Mystery snail. First one I've had, and the first snail I got "attached to". He/she seems to have personality, is very active, actually seems to play at times. He stays out and active all day, where the Nerites mostly hide during the day. I agree the Mystery doesn't do a lot of algae cleaning, but he/she helps with cleaning extra food.
Cool. I actually want to see the snails. I will have a very serious discussion with them about placing eggs where they can be easily removed.

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Their population is directly related to the amount of food available. It's a cause and effect relationship. I think you had the wrong idea if you thought that you would only have 20-30 snails. They will breed to the point there is equilibrium, so if you've got way more snails than you want, it's because there's way more food in the tank for them than you thought.
Not really. I DON'T feed my MTS snails and I only feed my Betta once a day ( 3 NLS pellets to be exact ) so they are breeding without the excess food. I chalk it up to "love shack" water

kb9plc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Cool. I actually want to see the snails. I will have a very serious discussion with them about placing eggs where they can be easily removed.
It really shouldn't be too bad. I actually purposely have two together that I breed for babies. If you keep your waterline low enough for them to have about 2 inches of space, the females will just place it above the water line.... typically tucked into where the tank wall meets the lid. Well, at least mine do. However.... if you have your water line up too high..... or if you end up with a particularly finicky female..... do not be surprised to find them on your tank lid. Seriously. I've caught mine in the middle of 'spider-snail' clutch laying. Bottom line is.... they will try and find the best place suitable to lay the eggs. It's not good for them if they hold the eggs back..... they can get egg bound (similar to fish).

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Not really. I DON'T feed my MTS snails and I only feed my Betta once a day ( 3 NLS pellets to be exact ) so they are breeding without the excess food. I chalk it up to "love shack" water
Starvation is what keeps their population in check - they are getting plenty to eat or they wouldn't be alive. It's really as simple as that. There is obviously a non NLS food source sustaining them.

kb9plc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Okay. So there lies the question. What else sustains MTS other than fish food?
I'm curious about this for the exact opposite problem. I WANT a MTS boom and I'm not getting one. LOL

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Okay. So there lies the question. What else sustains MTS other than fish food?
I'm curious about this for the exact opposite problem. I WANT a MTS boom and I'm not getting one. LOL
I believe it has something to do with my water ( no really! ) as my betta tank is set to 82 degrees ( obviously love shack waters ) and my main tank is at 78 degrees and that tank gets fed a lot more fish food, algae wafers, shrimp, etc and they were put in at the same time but I have WAY less ( like maybe 20 ) in that tank!

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They eat anything they can, though not live plants. Maybe they eat dead plant matter? She may have love shack water, but they aren't magic snails - they have to eat to sustain themselves, and they have to eat more than just enough to not die in order to reproduce.

If you consistently overfeed, you will have a booming colony in a couple of months.

kb9plc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Okay... so 3aquariums..... if you don't want a snailvasion...... don't get your snails from jwebbe
Hahahaha just kidding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom