Should I Get Pleco?

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by zjh828266, Dec 29, 2012.

1. z

zjh828266 Valued Member Member

I have a 10 gallon tank with 2 male guppies, 3 Albino Cory, and 3 ghost shrimp. Will pleco attack them? Cuz I have heard pleco sucking fish's skin. And do pleco eat brown algae off plants?

2. oscarsbud

oscarsbud Well Known Member Member

I could be wrong, but personally, I wouldn't put a pleco in a 10 gallon task. It seems a bit small for one of them to me. And I am pretty sure they don't eat brown algae. Maybe get some mts to help with algae, but not sure if they eat the brown stuff either.

3. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I agree, a Pleco is not a good choice for a 10. I would get a nerite snail.

4. marine590622

marine590622 Well Known Member Member

What a "pleco" will eat is determined by the species, but for the most part they eat green algae, There are some ancistrus species that a pair would do okay in a ten gallon but the common pleco is not appropriate to that size tank.

5. FoulFishes

FoulFishes Valued Member Member

Most of the Plecos regularly found in pet stores need much more than 10 gallons. If brown algae is the issue get a Nerite Snail. Nerite Snail are more efficent algae eaters than any fish in my opinion. Plecos will not eat strictly algae. You might also want to consider Amano Shrimp, they are great algae eaters and have big personalities for shrimp!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice