Should I Get Pleco?

zjh828266

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a 10 gallon tank with 2 male guppies, 3 Albino Cory, and 3 ghost shrimp. Will pleco attack them? Cuz I have heard pleco sucking fish's skin. And do pleco eat brown algae off plants?

oscarsbud

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I could be wrong, but personally, I wouldn't put a pleco in a 10 gallon task. It seems a bit small for one of them to me. And I am pretty sure they don't eat brown algae. Maybe get some mts to help with algae, but not sure if they eat the brown stuff either.

marine590622

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What a "pleco" will eat is determined by the species, but for the most part they eat green algae, There are some ancistrus species that a pair would do okay in a ten gallon but the common pleco is not appropriate to that size tank.

FoulFishes

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Most of the Plecos regularly found in pet stores need much more than 10 gallons. If brown algae is the issue get a Nerite Snail. Nerite Snail are more efficent algae eaters than any fish in my opinion. Plecos will not eat strictly algae. You might also want to consider Amano Shrimp, they are great algae eaters and have big personalities for shrimp!

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom