Should I get plants?

1. Fish Girl Initiate Member

My continued thanks for all your helpful advice. My next question is: should I get plants for my 8 gallon tank? It only has plastic ones at the moment. If so, how many, and what depth of gravel would I need for them? Ta v. much :)

--------------------------------------
    8 gallon: no fish yet!

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Yes plants would look very nice in that size tank. Need to know th size of your lights before recommending plants.
    Substrate should be about 1-1/2 to 2 inches. unless you get Anubias or Java Fern or Java Moss because they attach to rocks or wood.
    Carol

3. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Fish Girl, I think live plants are the best decor one can get. I am copying one of my posts for you, that explains why live plants are an excellent choice:

"Live plants are far better than fake ones. First of all, they produce oxygen necessary for fish. Second, they are natural water purifiers - they remove heavy metals from water that are otherwise very dangerous to fish. Thirdly, they help remove toxic ammonia and nitrites as well as use fish and food waste as their nutrients. I cannot find ONE reason why plants wouldn't be great in any tank. But do not use demanding plants if you have standard lighting - for that, low-light plants are best."

4. Jason Well Known Member Member

The only thing I can add to Isabella's post is that they look good and give a natural theme to the tank ;)

5. Fish Girl Initiate Member

Thanks - I'm definitely getting plants now! :)