Should I get "pest" snails?

FishGirl115

Should I get a ramshorn snail or two for my 29 gallon aquarium? Would it get out of control? I want a cheap snail/deep cleaner.

MrBryan723

Mts are probably a better option as a deep cleaner, both can get out of hand pretty easily. Assassin snails will do the job as well without getting out of hand.

FishGirl115

MrBryan723 said:
Mts are probably a better option as a deep cleaner, both can get out of hand pretty easily. Assassin snails will do the job as well without getting out of hand.
Alright. Just looking for cheap options that maintain their population without getting too out of hand

MrBryan723

Well, assassins aren't really "cheap" but i know a few mwmbers here might be willing to donate a couple for shipping costs.

FishGirl115

MrBryan723 said:
Well, assassins aren't really "cheap" but i know a few mwmbers here might be willing to donate a couple for shipping costs.
Is there a reason that I couldn't get a ramshorn or mts or two and then if they get out of control then get an assassin if I need it

Debbie1986

for a 29 gallon, just get 1 mystery snail

if it's female, make sure she can lay eggs above water's edge & not climb out of tank. They'll disappear & you'll find a dead snail later on.

If you can, request a male from the seller to avoid the egg laying issue.

ramshorns are very small by comparison. I have MTS, rams & assassins.

Rams really breed alot. only put 1 per tank our you will have 20+ babies in a month.

aquachris

Don’t see why not. Though a nerite or mystery would do a better job tbh.

I’m beyond overrun by bladder snails. I have some rams horn but not nearly as many by a long shot.

also I threw a bunch in a 75 I have hoping they would do some cleaning but barely did anything. Lol.

FishGirl115

Thanks. I think I'll just get a ramshorn or MTS... I'm not going to get nerites or mysteries because they have died when I've gotten them before, and for $3 a snail, that's too much.

aquachris

Probably the two most likely to do the job. I got to get my hands on some mts yet. I have some pfs in some tanks and they would be great to stir it up.

FishGirl115

aquachris said:
Probably the two most likely to do the job. I got to get my hands on some mts yet. I have some pfs in some tanks and they would be great to stir it up.
Pfs? So MTS AND ramshorns?

Keenamoss

FishGirl115 said:
Should I get a ramshorn snail or two for my 29 gallon aquarium? Would it get out of control? I want a cheap snail/deep cleaner.
I have pond and ramshorn snails in my 130L and 87L who've all snuck in on plants (I didn't have the heart to wash them down the drain).. the pond snail population definitely exploded, the ramshorns so far haven't seemed to much at all. They are very pretty and interesting to watch though! There is never any algae in the tank and I love them :) my mum has several ponds on her property she is letting me release the pond snails into thankfully and they are native so using that as a strategy, as well as removing the eggs when I see them, to keep them under control.

MrBryan723

FishGirl115 said:
Is there a reason that I couldn't get a ramshorn or mts or two and then if they get out of control then get an assassin if I need it
Not at all.

aquachris

FishGirl115 said:
Pfs? So MTS AND ramshorns?
Pool filter sand. Not sure for you on both or one over the other. I think both are def more interesting than bladder or pond snails. Like someone else said though I have no algae in tanks with them.

MrBryan723

I will mention that assassin snails also dig through the substrate like mts so they can keep it turned over too.

FishGirl115

aquachris said:
Pool filter sand. Not sure for you on both or one over the other. I think both are def more interesting than bladder or pond snails. Like someone else said though I have no algae in tanks with them.
Got it. thanks for clarifying. I will do some more research on each and decide. Thanks for the help guys!

mimo91088

My powerhouse cleanup crew of choice is bladder snails. But MTS and ramshorns are both good, MTS will stir substrate up.

Top Bottom