Should I Get My Tank Replaced?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Z123Killer, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Z

Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

So I have just set up an Acrylic 29 Gallon tank (Added water but not beneficial bacteria) and discovered that it was leaking from the seam. And the leak is an extremely slow leak, maybe like 1 drop of water every hour. Do you think I should contact warranty and replace the tank for that small leak or do you think I should just add my beneficial bacteria and start?

2. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

I would contact the warranty place and get a new tank! A small leak can turn into a large flood fairly quickly.

3. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

Get it replaced. Don't start off with a problem that will only get bigger.

4. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

No you should inmediatly drain it, if you have a leak you should solve it inmediatly. The leak can get worse and eventually flood your house.
    I dont exactly know how acrylic tanks are made but with glass ones it is pretty easy to remove the silicon and reseal it, I made it myself with a 36 gal used tank. If your tank had a problem with the seam which is the silicon that goes between the panels then it would have collapsed.
    If you bought it from a certain brand and it is new you should definitely contact them.
    I know the anxiousness of wanting to start cycling a tank but really it is not a smart idea to have a tank with a leak.

5. OP
    OP
    Z

Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

So I shouldn't get aquarium silicone and just patch it up from the outside?

6. APierce

Don't try to reseal your tank with silicone...It doesn't stick to acrylic.

7. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

The water pressure is coming from the inside. I know it's a bummer, but if it is new, demand that you receive a new one. The wait is hard I know. My husband says my mantra is "I want it now!" ...and I do, but I want it perfect.

8. BeanFish

If you want to reseal it you would have to get all the silicone out because silicone does not stick well with silicon but now APierce says that silicone does not stick to acrylic (which is true) so you would need something diffrent and there is no silicone to take out in the first place.
    Seriously tho, stop touching the tank it is way easier to get it replaced than to fix it yourself, if you try to fix it and you fail you are done, I dont think you would have warranty after that.

9. APierce

@BeanFish I don't know to rate that post as funny or agree!

10. BeanFish

Lol, I guess my good sense of humor just sneaks in my posts even when I try to be serious :cool:

11. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

Replace it! (and drain it...now lol) the pressure will only increase the crack/leak with time.
    If you are REALLY wanting to get your filters rolling you could probably use a bucket or a bin as a temporary tank (with a heater in it), dose with the bacteria, plus food or ammonia - and it will start cycling :p

12. Tri5guy

Tri5guy Valued Member Member

I do know for a fact, acrylic tanks are glued or "plastic welded" (glue that basically melts the 2 surfaces together) I would drain and replace the tank IF it is new and returnable. If not......it IS repairable. Thats the good thing anyway! Heres a little info i found on repairing it, if you choose that route. Good luck
    [​IMG]

13. bopsalot

bopsalot Well Known Member Member

Also I know this sounds kind of silly, but be sure to double check to make sure your tank is actually leaking, and it's not just condensation, or a spill that seeped under the tank during fill-up. Flex Tape might hold it, but I wouldn't want to risk a flood. Been there with my last aquarium. Everyone had to be re-homed, quite the emergency.

14. Tri5guy

Tri5guy Valued Member Member

Good observation @bopsalot Was your last tank acrylic? Usually glass tanks let go entirely or one side anyway, but acrylic tanks are literally fused together as one piece. Like welding metal, and-marriage haha, it becomes one. When they leak, its usually due to a spot that was not clean at prep time, and/ the cement didnt cure there, like a pit in a weld. This is why acrylic tanks can be rimless and unbraced. Glass tanks just come unglued with no frame to support it. So, i dont feel it will just let go on him, nor will it get any worse....that does not mean i would not tear it down and reslove the issue though. The leak and no peace of mind, makes for no good sleep! Haha. Cheers.

15. fissh

fissh Well Known Member Member

Don't mess with it, replace it. The min. you try to reseal it your warranty is gone.

16. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Get your money back and get a glass one. I am totally anti-acrylic at the moment. Just emptied my 5g acrylic tank tonight. Thank god.

17. BeanFish

You will not be anti-acrylic anymore once you start getting into the 300 gal aquariums lol.

18. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Haha Not going to happen. This 29 gallon is my limit. I didn't think I could manage above a 10g with my disability, but here I am with a big tank. I 100% know I can't go any bigger. So I am really happy with my glass tanks lol

19. Dominus

Dominus New Member Member

I'm going to echo the majority opinion here and say that you shouldn't waste your time and money trying to reseal it, definitely use the warranty and get a new tank. It'll be worth it in the long run. It's better to get a new one now rather than have it break down in the future after you've invested time and money in it.

20. fissh

fissh Well Known Member Member

I sold acrylic tanks for close to 30 years, I even was a rep for one of the largest acrylic tank companies on the west coast. I'm not sure how many acrylic tanks I've sold I would guess around 10.000 and I've only seen 3 brand new tanks leak ever. So you where just unlucky.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice