Should I Get My Goldfish A Buddy?

Timmysmomtm

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I got my small common goldfish from the state fair almost a year ago. He has been living on his own bit I am worried that he may become stressed without anyone to be there with him. Should I get him a friend? My concerns are
1. I most likely will not know the gender of the other fish or my fish
2. They will bully each other and I will have to rehome the second fish
3. They will give each other diseases
4. I can’t upgrade the tank to a bigger size (right now anyways)

Do the risks outweigh the benefits or should he be alright living alone?

Timmysmomtm

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
N8_the_Gr8 said:
What size tank?
He is currently in a 30 gallon which I know is bad but that is all that my family will let me have at the moment and I'm going to no doubt upgrade as he grows.

tunafax

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Again, water quality is the biggest stresser here, and 2 goldfish made 100 more mess (or so it feels lol). If he is still 'small' after a year, the stress would be from him being stunted as she should be at least 6 inches by now.

You will have problems with a friend because assuming the friend is not stunted, it will quickly outgrow your boy, out-eat him and beat on him. My suggestion would be to get a proper tank size and see how fast he grows and decide based on that.
As far as bullying goes, goldfish beat a little on eachother all the time. That's just goldfish.
Diseases - this is why you quarantine for at least a month.

If he never had any buddies, there is no reason for him to become stressed now. I would wait until I can accommodate 1 fish before getting a 2nd one.

Re: tank size - leave him in a 30 for a few months and see how fast he grows. He should be fine for now.

MissRuthless

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Do not buy another goldfish. You don't even have room for the one. He will be much happier on his own if you buy him a proper tank, than if you add another poop machine to this inadequately sized tank and cause more water quality issues than you will inevitably face down the road with just him. Common goldfish will stunt in only 30g. You should be concerned with his physical well being before you start considering whether he is lonely.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hmmm. . . I see things differently. You had him/her for almost a year. Why ruin what’s been working? 30g isn’t the worst thing in the world, imo.

MissRuthless

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
For a fish that should grow up to 18"? If it doesn't stunt, which it will, it will eventually not be able to turn around in that tank.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Have you considered rehoming it to someone with a large pond and getting a pair of fancies instead? They a lot smaller, and still just as entertaining - and with a large filter and increased water changes, it should be fine.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The issue of stunting is questionable. Some say the external will quit growing but the internal will continue. Others say it all quits growing. I am beginning to lean towards the latter as I have seen goldfish that have lived in smaller tanks for up to 10 years. If they truly keep growing internally, how would they survive so long? I would go with a larger tank simply for bio load. Goldfish are companion fish but we want to keep the water in the proper parameters. Two commons/ comets in that size tank will simply jeopardize the water quality.

N8_the_Gr8

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I suggest that you rehome your common goldfish as yes they do get 18”. I’d suggest, after you rehome your current goldfish, to get 2 fancy goldfish instead. They aren’t as big and look way better.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This is confusing, I must admit. If you are going to stunt it then how is it going to get 18”? We all say this and accept it but it contradicts itself, don’t you think?

Timmysmomtm

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
MissRuthless said:
For a fish that should grow up to 18"? If it doesn't stunt, which it will, it will eventually not be able to turn around in that tank.
Well that’s why I’m working on continuously upgrading his tank as he grows. I hope to someday be able to house him in a pond.

I have but I can’t find anyone.
aussieJJDude said:
Have you considered rehoming it to someone with a large pond and getting a pair of fancies instead? They a lot smaller, and still just as entertaining - and with a large filter and increased water changes, it should be fine.
N8_the_Gr8 said:
I suggest that you rehome your common goldfish as yes they do get 18”. I’d suggest, after you rehome your current goldfish, to get 2 fancy goldfish instead. They aren’t as big and look way better.
He won’t be living in this tank for his entire life span. I will upgrade as he grows.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That should be fine, IMO. Goldfish will stop growing if they are in a small tank. One theory is that they put off a hormone in the water that stops the growth. However, it is also believed that this is not permanent and if the fish is moved to larger space, they will again grow to that capacity. I had a comet in a 10G tank for about 5 months. He got to be about 5” long. I then moved him to a 29G tank and he grew to about 6” long. He is now in my pond and after 2 months, he is about 8 or 9” long and I’m sure still growing. No one really knows exactly how this all works but there are differing opinions. I do believe however, that more room gives better quality goldfish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom