Should I get more danios? Question

1. Altari Member Member

These little guys are giving me trouble. :;dk

They're fighting now. I don't know why. After they cannibalized the one gourami, the other one smartened up and has gone into hiding (I think he's going to starve). Now the danios are fighting incessantly.

There are four of them, and I read that they're happiest in groups of six or more. Is it possible that picking up two more would make them happier? I'm going to take the pleco to be rehomed in January. Would the six danios be too much in a 10 gallon? Should I take the remaining gourami back - I'm afraid he's lonely.

On the plus side, I think my tank is fully cycled now.

ETA: Totally unrelated, but I didn't want to start another thread. Are there any fish that prefer to swim vertically over horizontally (in a cylinder rather than a rectangle)?

2. Jake the Fish Member Member

I think you might have to get a couple more danios and put the gourami with the pleco.

3. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

I got six Danios and they don't bother my Sunset Gourami at all. Yeah, they are very active and will chase each other at times but I've not seen any fighting. My Sunset will go all over the tank so it might come out once you get a couple more Danios.

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Sparkling Gouramis are smaller than Sunset Gouramis.
    They prefer a planted tank with places to hide because they can be shy.

Imo, if you're going to keep the danios, the Sparkler should be returned.

5. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I had 2 danios, and they were extremely aggressive. One almost killed the other. Then I brought them up to 6, and it got a lot better, but honestly, they still chased each other and were nippy and a little mean. My tank is understocked and cycled, so the living conditions were not stressful. I just took them to the LFS yesterday to be rehomed. I didn't like the aggression.

If you are going to keep them, then bring the numbers up will help.

edit: Oh, congrats on the cycle. It feels good, right? ;D

6. Camille Member Member

I have 4 danios in a tropical commmunity tank right now and they don't bother any of the other fish. Maybe you should get rid of your danios... If they are aggressive now I don't think they'll get better with 2 more... You could always replace your danios with some kind of tetra. Neon tetras are very common peacful fish and if you don't like red and blue you could get black neon tetras. 5 would do well in a ten gallon along with your gourami.

I don't think that there are any fish that swim completely vertical but angelicus botias tend it swim up and down the tank sides. Angelicus botias grow to 5 inches each so I wouldn't try putting them in a 10 gallon tank.

7. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

I have been told too to keep an odd number. Maybe a total of 7 danios would be a good number.