Should I Get Ghost Shrimp or Mystery Snail?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by zjh828266, Dec 17, 2012.

1. z

zjh828266 Valued Member Member

I have a 10 gallon tank with 3 cory catfish and 4 guppies, should I get ghost shrimp or mystery snail?

2. Mer-max

Mer-max Well Known Member Member

I just got like 25 ghosts and put them in with my puffer. Oh we had fun watching him chase them down, corner them and eat them! Good times!

3. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

Personally I would go with ghost shrimp... I feel, now this is my opinion, I think adding a mystery snail is adding to much with that tank size

4. b

backflipfronflip Well Known Member Member

I would go with the Ghost Shrimp, they are pretty active little creatures and add some movement to the lower are of the tank.

5. L

LyleB Well Known Member Member

My Mystery snail adds a lot of movement to my 10 gal. He/She cruises all over the tank, rarely still.

6. OP
    OP
    z

Thank you guys!!! Which one is more hardy? Ghost Shrimp or Mystery Snail?

7. monkeypie102

You also have to take into account the bio-load... as in mysteries have a lot of it...

Edit: for hardiness I say the shrimp... the snails need a higher Ph as for the shrimp it really doesn't matter much

8. OP
    OP
    z

Do ghost shrimp eat goldfish granules? if yes, how many ghost shrimp should i get? and do petco's or petsmart's ghsot shrimp die easily?

9. monkeypie102

Yes ghost shrimp are scavangers and will eat what the fish miss :) and the rule with ghost shrimp is 1 per gallon as they are territorial... and 3 of mine are from Walmart and the fourth one is from petsmart and all are healthy have had 2 females berry twice now :)

10. OP
    OP
    z

what is the minimum amount of ghost shrimp for a 10 gallon tank? and how many should I get? 1 shrimp per gallon seems too many for me

11. fishaddiction

fishaddiction Valued Member Member

Ghost shrimp eat all the left oversea at the bottom of the tank so they clean up the extra food almost compensating for their own waste (depending on the amount of shrimp) the minimum amount I would get is 3 but I would recommend 5 the life spans for petco/petsmart shrimp can be decent depending on the care level.

12. fishaddiction

fishaddiction Valued Member Member

They are very cool little creatures you can see what they are eating inside of them. :)

13. t

tress29 Valued Member Member

When I feed my dwarf puffer, the ghosts will swim up and take a bloodworm from the tweezers too!

14. monkeypie102

I agree with fish addiction. 3-5 would suit your needs if your just wanting a clean up crew :) just make sure they have places to hide for the first week so they can feel relatively comfertable :)

15. w

wolverined Valued Member Member

Very interesting im thinking of going to pick some ghost shrimp as well now. do they get along with bristle nose? or will they ignore each other?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice