Should I get fire red shrimp or painted fire red?

wtusa1783

Reaction score
I’m starting my first shrimp tank in a few weeks and I don’t know which to choose from. The fire reds are $33 for 12 and the painted fire reds are 11 for $50. Is the price worth it? Are the painted fire and regular fire red that much different?

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yes spend the extra money if you have the disposable income. You may only buy this colour once and might as well have a colony starting from a better colour?

Are they better? It’s only a name after all.
Like guppies anyone can call anything a name .But logically if they are charging more they think they are better.

The cherry shrimp I have do not breed true to colour.
I suggest that is similar to all cherry shrimp.? In time you will have to cull any name to keep a colour?

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
Flyfisha said:
Yes spend the extra money if you have the disposable income. You may only buy this colour once and might as well have a colony starting from a better colour?

Are they better? It’s only a name after all.
Like guppies anyone can call anything a name .But logically if they are charging more they think they are better.

The cherry shrimp I have do not breed true to colour.
I suggest that is similar to all cherry shrimp.? In time you will have to cull any name to keep a colour?
Ok. So will the extra money spent be worth it?

erbear

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It depends on if you want to spend the money.

Painted fire red will have a completed opaque red shell and even the legs will be fully colored. You can see pictures of each grade online. In the right lighting a painted fire red shrimp is really nice.

One thing to consider is if you want to be able to tell easily when your shrimp is carrying eggs. I have a Painted fire red shrimp and it's very hard to tell when she is berried and when the eggs have hatched. I like to know because I change my feeding routine with baby shrimp in the tank.

I don't think you can go wrong with either but if you have the money maybe consider the higher grade. It feels good to know you have high quality specimens in the tank. I hope that helps.

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I can’t say if a seller gives value for money.
A true hobbyist would give you shrimp. As there is money involved it’s a totally different transaction.

There would be a moral obligation to offer something better for more money. But some people just have no morals.

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
Flyfisha said:
I can’t say if a seller gives value for money.
A true hobbyist would give you shrimp. As there is money involved it’s a totally different transaction.

There would be a moral obligation to offer something better for more money. But some people just have no morals.
Yea If I pay the premium I want the premium lol. I hope no one would scam in this hobby

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
erbear said:
It depends on if you want to spend the money.

Painted fire red will have a completed opaque red shell and even the legs will be fully colored. You can see pictures of each grade online. In the right lighting a painted fire red shrimp is really nice.

One thing to consider is if you want to be able to tell easily when your shrimp is carrying eggs. I have a Painted fire red shrimp and it's very hard to tell when she is berried and when the eggs have hatched. I like to know because I change my feeding routine with baby shrimp in the tank.

I don't think you can go wrong with either but if you have the money maybe consider the higher grade. It feels good to know you have high quality specimens in the tank. I hope that helps.
That is something to consider. I’ve never had shrimp so it would be nice to see when the females are berried. For that reason I’m leaning towards the fire reds. Is it that much of a difference for the price and not being able to see the eggs?

erbear

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
wtusa1783 said:
That is something to consider. I’ve never had shrimp so it would be nice to see when the females are berried. For that reason I’m leaning towards the fire reds. Is it that much of a difference for the price and not being able to see the eggs?
Well, my favorite shrimp is my biggest most beautiful painted fire red. It's nice being able to see the eggs but I wouldn't let that change your mind. If you pay attention it's not that hard to see. The higher grade shrimp are the nicer shrimp. I agree with Flyfisha that if you have the money start your colony with the best color you can afford. It's not just the legs, PFR show better color throughout the shell.

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
erbear said:
Well, my favorite shrimp is my biggest most beautiful painted fire red. It's nice being able to see the eggs but I wouldn't let that change your mind. If you pay attention it's not that hard to see. The higher grade shrimp are the nicer shrimp. I agree with Flyfisha that if you have the money start your colony with the best color you can afford. It's not just the legs, PFR show better color throughout the shell.
Ok thanks. If I’m spending this much money one shrimp how many should I expect to loose? I’ll be drip acclimating for 2-4 hours. I don’t want to spend a lot of money and loose shrimp. I’ll be ordering from ebay also

erbear

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'll be honest, I started my tank 4 months ago and I lost half of my first 10. But I have a colony of ~75-100 now.

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
erbear said:
I'll be honest, I started my tank 4 months ago and I lost half of my first 10. But I have a colony of ~75-100 now.
Ok. Where did you order from? What type are they?

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
when paying this sort of money just make sure your tank is spot on dont put them in for at least 3months

erbear

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
wtusa1783 said:
Ok. Where did you order from? What type are they?
I ordered from The Shrimp Farm. 10 Grade A Sakura. Received 11 healthy mostly fire red and 2 painted fire red (3 males, 8 females). Unfortunately, a really nicely colored male died :/ I think the shipping was only $10. I would recommend. Customer service was excellent (they helped me after I lost a few).

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
erbear said:
I ordered from The Shrimp Farm. 10 Grade A Sakura. Received 11 healthy mostly fire red and 2 painted fire red (3 males, 8 females). Unfortunately, a really nicely colored male died :/ I think the shipping was only $10. I would recommend. Customer service was excellent (they helped me after I lost a few).
Wait so you ordered Sakura and got fire red and painted fire red?

erbear

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
wtusa1783 said:
Wait so you ordered Sakura and got fire red and painted fire red?
I don't claim to be an expert but in this picture there is a shrimp from my original order (the biggest one with a slightly deeper color). From what I can tell it is a Painted Fire Red shrimp.
-Full coloration throughout the legs
-Completely opaque shell with no visible organs/eggs from the outside

I wouldn't order ship expecting higher grade. Just get lucky sometimes. She has hatched maybe 60 of the shrimp in the tank and I can't wait to see how they color up.

Attachments

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom