Should I get another gerbil?

jewelandchowder

Member
I just rescued this gerbil from a girl who kept him alone for over a year. He’s almost 2 years old, has been alone his whole life, so I was wondering if it would be a smart move to get him a friend? It doesn’t seem as if he’s bothered by being alone, but this is my first gerbil so I’d rather not go off of my assumptions. I don’t wanna end up getting a baby gerbil who I cant house with him, I have no room for a whole other cage, and rehoming a baby I just got would break my heart. Any experienced gerbil parents out there who can determine whether I should give him a friend or keep him alone? Thanks for your time.
- Jewel and Binky x
 

StarGirl

Member
I would get it a friend as they are social animals. Just make sure they are both the same sex or you will have baabies galore.
 

NicholeR720

Member
jewelandchowder said:
I just rescued this gerbil from a girl who kept him alone for over a year. He’s almost 2 years old, has been alone his whole life, so I was wondering if it would be a smart move to get him a friend? It doesn’t seem as if he’s bothered by being alone, but this is my first gerbil so I’d rather not go off of my assumptions. I don’t wanna end up getting a baby gerbil who I cant house with him, I have no room for a whole other cage, and rehoming a baby I just got would break my heart. Any experienced gerbil parents out there who can determine whether I should give him a friend or keep him alone? Thanks for your time.
- Jewel and Binky x
Not a good idea. If raised together males can get along. But since he has been alone for a year+ he is likely going to be aggressive and territorial. If you get a female to house him, they will breed continuously. If he is not stressed out (over grooming, chewing at himself, always escaping, listless, etc) and he eats well, then he is fine by himself and happy having you as mom/roommate.
 
  • Thread Starter

jewelandchowder

Member
NicholeR720 said:
Not a good idea. If raised together males can get along. But since he has been alone for a year+ he is likely going to be aggressive and territorial. If you get a female to house him, they will breed continuously. If he is not stressed out (over grooming, chewing at himself, always escaping, listless, etc) and he eats well, then he is fine by himself and happy having you as mom/roommate.
Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it! He’s very energetic and we get along great! He doesn’t seem to show any of the signs of stress that you’ve listed, so I think I’ll be leaving things be.
With much thanks,
Jewel and Binky x
 

NicholeR720

Member
jewelandchowder said:
Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it! He’s very energetic and we get along great! He doesn’t seem to show any of the signs of stress that you’ve listed, so I think I’ll be leaving things be.
With much thanks,
Jewel and Binky x
Glad to help. Enjoy the little guy.
 

Latest threads

Top Bottom