Should I get another Female Krib for my single female?

1. Vivigrace Initiate Member

Hi Guys,

I have a 40L (10ga) aquarium.
    Filtered, aerated, live plants and driftwood, it sits at 26degC
    currently has 6 embers, 3 otos, 4 albino corys, and 1 deformed female krib.
    Weekly 25% water changes
    Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 5ppm, PH 7.4, Gh 6-8drops

I work at a petshop, and as you know kribs breed easily. We make no attempt to save the the babies, we let them do what they do. Well we found two, kribs in the sump that had survived from babies. one perfect beautiful make, and one who i think must have hurt herself while moving through the filter, her spine is deformed.
    I decided to take her home as I knew we couldn't sell her. She was so shy at first! She is coming out of her shell nicely, Swimming around, shes even helping me by eating some of the gross (Beard?) algea. But she is still very shy, I was wondering if another female would help?

I am aware my tank my be considered over stocked by some, but I maintain it well. I also know people think 40L is too small for a krib, well it is currently my only tank and She needed a new home because she was being bullied.
    This is her, It's hard to get a good photo, since she is so shy, but you can just see her tail.
    13334376_10209755627314466_166442640_o.jpg

2. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

It looks male. Can you get a side-on picture?

3. Vivigrace Initiate Member

Oh really? We spent ages looking at her/him trying to tell, but it was difficult because of how wonky she is. I've tried to get some more photos.

13441954_10209878912876528_196814685_o.jpg 13460956_10209878909756450_1489829541_o.jpg

Actually I think you are right. I was looking at fin length, while forgetting about shape. He has very pointed fins.

Which means no to another, I do not want breeding, and do not have space for two males.

4. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

You need to look at the ventral (pelvic) fins. If they're long and pointed it's male, if they're short and rounded it's female. They look long and pointed in the first picture. :)

5. Vivigrace Initiate Member

Yup very pointed! Thanks for that guys! Glad I asked.

Hopefully he comes out of his shell more soon.

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Your tank is overstocked - neither the krib, otos, or cories are appropriate for a 10 gal.

You really should upgrade your tank or rehome everyone who is inappropriate. Definitely don't add another krib until you upgrade.

7. Vivigrace Initiate Member

As I said I'm aware people believe it is overstocked. But I've had this setup for 2 years without an issue (excluding the Krib). I disagree that it is overstocked, the otos and corys to extremely well. I did a lot of research and kept a very close eye on them when I very slowly added them to the tanks.

i only asked about the Kribs, and then realised he was male and stated I will not be adding another.

8. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Best of luck then. We're only looking out for the fish!