Should I Get An Anemone? Question

1. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

Hello. I recently upgraded my 10-gallon saltwater tank to a 20-gallon tank (may be more than 20-gallons). I haven't checked my parameters recently, as everything seemed to stay stable, but I will right when I get back from vacation. The last time I checked, nitrates and phosphates were both under 10 ppm. Ammonia and nitrites were obviously at 0 ppm. Before making any purchases, I want to make sure it stayed this way. I perform 50% water changes every Sunday and the current stocking is the following: 2x frostbite clownfish, 1x yellow watchman goby, 1x tiger pistol shrimp, 5x hermit crabs, 2x mushroom corals, 1x zoanthid, and 1x kenya tree. Every coral seems to be doing great. They open up during the day and close during the night. I mainly want to get an anemone for my clownfish, but I know it's not completely necessary. What I'd like to know is if it's suitable for my tank, how to take care of it, which parameters I should check, if I need to feed it, etc. All of my corals are on one rock at the moment. There's an empty rock that it could go on. Thank you :) Any extra information will be appreciated.

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

It might be possible, but lighting will be an extremely important factor. What kind of lighting are you using?

3. OP
    OP
    Adriifu

https://www.amazon.com/NICREW-ClassicLED-Aquarium-Extendable-Brackets/dp/B0191EWII2

This is the LED. It has a blue/white setting for daytime and a blue setting for nighttime, which I rarely use.

Specifications
    Model: 11" (ZJL-40A)
    Fits for Aquarium Size: 11"- 19" Aquarium
    LED Quantity: 36 LEDs (30 White + 6 Blue)
    Kelvin: approx.7500K
    Lumen: approx.380lm
    Cable Length: 4.7 Ft.
    Adapter Power Input:100-240V 50/60 Hz Output:20V 0.6A
    Wattage: 6W
    Dimension (not include bracket): 11"L x 4"W x 3/4"H
    Dimension (include bracket): 13"L x 4"W x 2"H

4. KinsKicks

Hmmm. I think you’re a little low on light; even the hardiest anemone (like BTA) would do better with a bit more white light. And also a little low on blue in addition to some of the other beneficial colors that would help bring out the colors and for health. :/

5. OP
    OP
    Adriifu

Is there a different light you'd suggest?

6. KinsKicks

Do you want to use LEDs? Or do you want something more traditional like fluorescents?

7. OP
    OP
    Adriifu

Whatever's cheapest is fine with me.

8. KinsKicks

That depends on the long run haha. LEDs can be pricier on initial cost, but are cheaper in your bill. Fluorescents are cheaper initially, but are more costly on your bill and need to be replaced. LEDs are still fairly new to the market and there quite a few choices. As for fluorescents, T5 HO have been reliable for basic nems.

9. OP
    OP
    Adriifu

What do you use for your tanks? Something cheaper in the long run sounds ideal, but I'm fine with replacing something fluorescent.

10. OP
    OP
    Adriifu

11. stella1979

stella1979 Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry @Adriifu , I can't be very helpful with lighting. I've spent more than I care to admit on it in the last year. Started with T5's, and they were fine. The trouble was of a personal nature,:rolleyes: with my limited space and inability to center the fixture over the tank. I needed to upgrade to a slimmer light, and the fluorescent setup hadn't been all that cheap.:banghead: Still, I was investing a lot in corals too, soo... Saved my pennies for months and months because I knew that my best option was to get a light that could outgrow my tank. As in, if I got a bigger tank, I still wanted to be able to use whatever pricey LED I was going to be investing in. After all, the tank is pretty cheap compared to the light, and lighting is so important in reef tanks. Hmmm, not helpful, but this is the one I went with and I use it at less than half of the output it can provide.
    https://sbreeflights.com/home/43-ultra-22.html

If I were in your shoes, I would save for a reef light before getting an anemone. I know of a few nice reefs under these. :)
    https://www.marinedepot.com/Current...quariums-Current_USA-CU41044-FILTFILD-vi.html

Otherwise, you might want to talk to @Lorekeeper , as he has a much better understanding of lighting and knows of some good budget options... though I'm pretty sure they're from overseas so delivery may take a few weeks.

12. OP
    OP
    Adriifu

Yeah, I was thinking of saving up as well. Thank you for the response!

13. KinsKicks

Ah okay, was just to ask about the budget :p

Your standard LEDs won’t be able to provide a high enough lighting output; unfortunately, even the cheapest lighting option for the easiest anemone (first thing that come to mind are Chinese black boxes) will be at least $100-$150 if you scrounge around enough and find a good deal or sale. Price wise, it might be a better idea to go with VHO lighting which is just good enough for a BTA. For a 20g, you could get away with a double ballast running 75watt VHO using a 1 actinic : 1 full spectrum bulb ratio.

But, might be worth saving up for a good Coral light instead like Stella says! Anemones can take over a small tank size quick if they like the environment lol

14. OP
    OP
    Adriifu

Thank you :) I'll look into that. Will most likely save up some money from work.

15. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

Well, I went the cheap LED route on my 10 gallon and have no complaints so far. I don't have anything quite as high light as a nem, but I think one would do well near the water line (and that might be in the works ;)).

I use two of these over my 10 gallon (21W) E27 15/21/27/36/45/54W PAR30/PAR38 LED Coral Reef Plant Grow Light Tank Aquarium | eBay

They're screwed into your cheapo 40W walmart brand desk lamps, and have done me fine on a timer so far. For a 20, with high light, you'd have to do some reading around, but I'd have to say you'd need at least 2-3 of the 36W bulbs, and even then, you'd need the nem to be up high in the tank. This might not be the most cost-effective option for you, depending on what else you're looking at.

I've been using these bulbs for 3 or 4 months now with no issues, but YMMV. Tons of stories about them burning out pretty quickly, so keep that in mind.

Honestly, VHO would be what I'd do in your case. It's gonna last you longer than some cheap LEDs, and will be more reliable and of a higher quality. When I upgrade to a 20, I'll be DIYing an LED fixture, but if that falls out, I'll be looking to VHO and/or cheap LED fixtures.

16. OP
    OP
    Adriifu

Sorry; could you find me a link to that, @KinsKicks ?

17. OP
    OP
    Adriifu

Thank you! I'd most likely have the anemone somewhat near the surface of the water. I'll be purchasing more live rock for this tank at some point. I'll continue looking, but I doubt I'll be buying an anemone anytime soon unless I get a good light first :)

18. KinsKicks

Which link?

19. OP
    OP
    Adriifu

Any link to an ideal VHO. Whatever's cheap, yet efficient. I'll save up some money for something.

20. KinsKicks

Haha, you can get them on Dr. fosters and Smith. They’re not too expensive, but I’d stalk their sales; they have a huge annual sale and that’s the best time to stock up; and alwyas buy extra :)