Should I Get A Sponge Filter Or Air Stone For Extra Movement And O2?

AquaCaitlin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I’m the kinda person who is a huge fan of sponge filters, you can get them cheap and they have excellent water circulation. I have some going in my breeding tanks and they’re quite nice.
I get the double sponge ones on amazon

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
IMO sponge filters are Always the way to go cause
1. they are extra filtration.
2 they will help cycle a new tank weather its a QT/hospital or new set up and
3. reread #2

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If you have extra filters in your betta tank, then you can move your sponge filter. If not, then you can purchase one.

JayH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The air stone alone will obviously be cheaper. If your sole goal is getting more water movement and oxygen in the water, that's the most economical way to go. If you'd also like to add some additional filtration, then the sponge filter makes sense. There's obviously additional cost and some don't find the sponge filter all that attractive. If you want to go the sponge filter route, take a look at the Cubefilters at Swiss Tropical. Get one with a Jetlifter and it will shoot the water and bubbles across the tank rather than just straight up. I will warn you this is a more expensive option, particularly when shipping is considered, but the water movement from these is hard to beat without an actual water pump.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Some sponge filters dont require air stones. I've got a large "Azoo" brand sponge filter I use in our 75g. It was made where it didnt need an airstone, but I placed one inside of it anyways. It produced a better quality and volume of bubbles, plus it produced more lift with the air stone.

If the sponge filter you already have doesnt require an airstone to run, I would suggest to install a quality airstone anyways.

We have a 55g with a canister like you, and have a double stacked sponge filter in one corner.

The sponge filter uses a "Sweetwater" brand airstone hooked up to one of the outlets on a Fluval Q1 airpump. It flows a lot of water through it.

If you ever need to set up a temporary hospital tank or QT out of a 5 gallon bucket or large container, you can pull the cycled sponge filter from the 55g and place it in their.

JayH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If the sponge filter you already have doesnt require an airstone to run, I would suggest to install a quality airstone anyways.
I would agree with this UNLESS it's one of those from Swiss Tropicals that uses a Czech design lift tube. Those give you the best of both worlds -- excellent distribution of lots of small bubbles like with an air stone but with nothing blocking the lift tube.

JayH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Having seen the Czech lift tubes in action, I think it's almost a crime that every sponge filter doesn't come with one. In sufficient quantity I doubt it would add more than $0.25 to the cost.

CHJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Why not both?
Run a foam for the extra filtration/backup foam and run a nice big stone for the pretty bubbles (if your pump will support both)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom