Should I get a snail

sarah13

I'm wondering if I should get a snail and what type.....I only have freshwater tanks and my LPS only sells saltwater

LyndaB

Do you like snails? I'm finding it hard to believe that your lfs will only sell saltwater snails. Are you sure you're not confusing snails with shrimp?

sarah13

all I found at petco online was saltwater

sarah13

I love snails I had land snails but never any that live in water

LukeMAN5214

I would totally get a snail
they are a great addition to any fish tank and surprisingly are fascinating to watch, plus they help clean the tank!
I have a golden apple snail that is really cool and fun to watch
the only problem is that their shells tend to be rather brittle unless the water is hard or is somehow getting calcium in it
my snails shell started to disintegrate so I added a couple of egg shells to the back of the tank where no one could see them
this really helped
just make sure you don't get too many otherwise if you have live plants they might snack on them and eventually leave you with no plants!
golden apple snail (mystery snail) = awesome!

jerilovesfrogs

yay! I love snails! if you're going to buy one online, I suggest aquabid. I have mystery snails, nerites, ramshorn, pond and trumpet. though the last 3 are considered "pests" usually haha. most ppl don't try to buy them.

nerites don't breed in freshwater, and mystery (apple) snails lay eggs, so you can control the population very easily. =]

sarah13

cool I think I'm going to but from a store thank you

callichma

I have mystery snails and nerites. The nerites have really pretty shells and are good algae eaters. They lay eggs in the tank, but they won't hatch in freshwater. Mystery snails are not as good at algae eating, but they are great for cleaning up leftover food in the tank. I never have to worry about that. Mysteries are great fun to watch as they move around the tank, and when you drop an algae wafer in the tank they instantly know there is food in the tank and head for it. They are pretty fast too. They lay their eggs in clutches above the water line, and they are easy to find and remove if you don't want babies. Sorry if this is : . Short answer, Yes! Get a snail or 2.

sarah13

thankxx i'm getting 2 Mystery snails

jerilovesfrogs

and mysteries can potentially grow to the size of a golf ball. one of mine is. they can produce a fair amount of waste....so a decent tank size, and good cleaning are a must.

you'll have to let us know what colors you get

callichma

Congratulations on your choice. Honestly, either one (or both) would be a perfect choice.

Alessa

Watch out for the 2 mystery snails... I would go for one. Every single time I have had 2 together I have gotten babies. Yes, people say it is easy to find the egg clusters and remove them, but if one goes unnoticed, they hatch very quickly!!!

jerilovesfrogs

well the eggs don't hatch right away. it should take like two weeks. so they should be pretty noticeable.....but a few little snail babies never hurt

fishdaddy725

Watching a snail turn itself over from its back is one of the coolest things I've seen in a fish tank.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom