Should I Get A Python?

Dmitri
So usually with water changes I have to log out a huge jug to take water out and put water in. It makes my water changes something I dread, which is something I would like to change. I have a vacuum already, which is how I get the water out into the jug. What do I need for a python? Should I get it? Where do I get it?

IHaveADogToo
I'm in the same boat. I keep getting more and more tanks and I know I need to just bite the bullet and drop some cash on a python but I can't bring myself to do it. Every time I'm in the store and I look at the python I suddenly have trouble justifying the expense and end up spending the same amount of money and a whole bunch of other things.

There's a few DIYers on YouTube who have made their own python-like systems using flexable tubing, a water bottle, and a waterbed water changing part. Here's one of such videos:

Lchi87
Pythons are readily available at most LFS and online. Amazon seems to be where I do most of my shopping lately; gotta love Prime! You’ll get everything you need when you buy the kit, the only thing you might need is more hose if your tank is far from the sink.

Yes, get it. It changed my life lol. And caused my hobby to go from one small tank to 6 tanks. It makes it too easy to clean and top off. Yes, it’s spendy but the time and effort it saves is invaluable imo. I’m not much of a DIYer but it can be done if you’re good with that.

Dmitri
I feel like I really neeeeeed it... with all my heart and soul. I might have my dad diy it for me, and if that fails I'll buy one..or I'll just buy one cause I'm lazy haha. I am just scared one day when I'm doing a water change I'm gonna fall off my chair and drop water everywhere and break something...so the python seems to be a necessity right now.

2211Nighthawk
Oh my word I would die without my python. I have a 65g and it would SUCK lugging all that water back and forth. That this is worth every penny I spent on it.

Dmitri
I have a 36, a 10, and a 5 . My back hurts so bad after water changing days, it's the WORST. I recently did a full change on my 36 and I almost cried the next day it was so awful.

Lchi87
I have a 36, a 10, and a 5 . My back hurts so bad after water changing days, it's the WORST. I recently did a full change on my 36 and I almost cried the next day it was so awful.
I would not have gotten that far without a python lol. You’ll be glad you spent the $$$. I’m a petite 5’2 so five gallon buckets and I don’t get along. It really is backbreaking!’

jmaldo
One of the best purchases I have made. I have 6 tanks plus a grow tub, change approx. 80 gallons of water per week. The only tank I do not use it in is the Planted 10 gallon Shrimp tank (losta shrimplets) and it gets a WC maybe every 2-3 weeks.
Good Luck!

You can get it here.

IHaveADogToo
Reading these replies I should've invested in a python several tanks ago. I have 8 tanks running in my house right now. And I'm still using buckets.

Dmitri
I would not have gotten that far without a python lol. You’ll be glad you spent the $$$. I’m a petite 5’2 so five gallon buckets and I don’t get along. It really is backbreaking!’
I'm 5'2 too!
Reading these replies I should've invested in a python several tanks ago. I have 8 tanks running in my house right now. And I'm still using buckets.
Same. I think I'm going to order one soon now

Awaken_Riceball_
The Python is very, let me repeat that word one more time, VERY worthwhile investment due to it makes water changes exceptionally easy without breaking your back. It is expensive; however, once you use it, then the word expensive quickly changes to thanks goodness lol.

My 60G, I did water changes with 5G buckets. It took 5 times filling up the bucket to drain the aquarium and 5 times filling it up again with new water. Never again, Python, water changes are done in 15 minutes with no buckets.

Just keep in mind, the longer your Python, then the more time you will have to spend coiling it up for storage.

Fashooga
I think it's worth the paper to get the python or something similar. I use a pond pump to drain my tank so that why I'm not using the faucet water to create the suction that is required for it to work. You can use the faucet to create the suction and turn it off and let it drain but it's a little slower if you don't use the running faucet, hence the pond pump.

NeonRasta
I have a 260 gallon aquarium a 75 gallon aquarium and a 20 long I only use buckets doesn't bother me. I guess it's because I don't mind the maintenance and I can measure out how many gallons I take out a week.

Tol
Python is pretty awesome. Aqueon Aquarium Water Changer is a cheaper one which I have never used, I have heard it works well enough but doesn't hold up as well. The Python is probably my favorite investment I have made for the hobby by far.

IHaveADogToo
Okay so I just bought the Aqueon Water Changer this weekend, and I do like it, but wow, it sure is disruptive to the substrate. The water jets out of that thing at mach 5. Not so great for all my 10 and 20 gallon tanks.

Fanatic
I recommend python water changers for tanks 20 gallons and above.
If the water output is too strong, then lower the pressure on the sink, or baffle the flow with your hand.

JenniferB
Okay so I just bought the Aqueon Water Changer this weekend, and I do like it, but wow, it sure is disruptive to the substrate. The water jets out of that thing at mach 5. Not so great for all my 10 and 20 gallon tanks.
You can turn the on/off valve on the suction tube end to reduce flow, or turn down your water at the faucet, or both.

Sarah73
Let's see would I want to carry gallons of water back and forth and kill my back or get a python which is easy to set up. Yeah, a python.

IHaveADogToo
You can turn the on/off valve on the suction tube end to reduce flow

You would think so, but turning it "down" (on the water changer itself) increases the water pressure. It's like the same effect as putting your thumb over the garden hose to make it spray. I'm sure it's just going to take some tinkering for me to figure out. But my first impression is that this thing is like a power washer. I'll keep messing with it.

Sarah73
You would think so, but turning it "down" (on the water changer itself) increases the water pressure. It's like the same effect as putting your thumb over the garden hose to make it spray. I'm sure it's just going to take some tinkering for me to figure out. But my first impression is that this thing is like a power washer. I'll keep messing with it.
Actually, when it's down it is sucking water from the tank through the python. When you turn it up and to the right, it is adding new water to the tank.

JenniferB
I just keep my tap turned down sort of low and aI'm it at a large rock in my tank.

DarkOne
If you fill the gravel vac part with water, the flow isn't as bad and the turbulence stays in the gravel vac tube.

I use a 550gph pump with a bunch of 1/2" tubing and a 32g Brute trash can for water changes on a 75g, 40g, 2x 20 gallon and 10g. I attach a (Python) gravel vac to the pump to take water out. You can put filter floss in the tube if you have small fish that could get sucked in. You need to fill the pump with some water to get the pump to get going. I mark the tanks with a chalk marker so I know where to drain. I fill the 32g trash can (Rubbermaid Brute) and treat the water. I put the 550gph pump in the trash can and run a hose to the tank. I recently bought a remote electric switch so I can turn the pump on/off with the remote.

My biggest concern with the Python is if the tap turns cold/hot while filling the tank. I read a few horror stories where cold water filled a tank and killed most of the fish. Filling the trash can allows me to control the temp and also save a bit on water conditioner.

NeonRasta
It's a great workout especially when changing 65 gallons on a 260 gallon tank
Let's see would I want to carry gallons of water back and forth and kill my back or get a python which is easy to set up. Yeah, a python.

Bigfella
Honestly, this is one of the best pieces of equipment you can buy for an aquarium. It cuts my water change time in half, which makes weekly water changes seem like a breeze. It is so easy to use it is ridiculous and it saves you from lugging buckets of water. It is arguably the best piece of equipment I have purchased in the hobby. The up front cost will save you 100 fold in time saved.

JenniferB
Hobbies are supposed to be fun. lol.
If I had to change out that much water using buckets I would not be keeping fish. Then again I have carpet and wood subfloor. Spilling water out of buckets would destroy my home.....and lord knows I spill enough even using a water changer. lol Plus I have kids, other hobbies, other pets, life. I have no time for carrying that many buckets in and out of my house on the regular. I have serious respect for that kind of commitment.

To be honest that was part of the reason I got out of it a decade ago, before the time of the python. lol

Zoomo
I would recommend buying it, but I have issues with mine, for another thread. However, no more buckets of water, so I will say it is awesome for filling. Emptying, not so much. My other thread will have some questions.

Fashooga

What I do is that I use a clamp and a colander. Clamp the colander and take the end of the siphon off and clamp them together. This way when the water "jets" out from the end it hits the colander and it disperse the water evenly so it doesn't disrupt your substrate or hurt your plants.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CelticSJU
Replies
Views
JRS
Top Bottom