75 Gallon Tank Should I get a powerhead if I have very active fish in my 75 gallon?

Teemingjoker

I have a 75 gallon tank with an fx4 and have giant danios, denison barbs, and rainbow fish. I have the output for fx4 aiming more towards the surface for agitation with a lot of plants, so oxygen isn't an issue. Not sure exactly how to word this but was wondering if the powerhead would help those active fish burn energy due to having to swim harder against the powerhead.

A201

The FX4 is a very powerful canister.
Pretty sure it is providing more than enough resistant current to adequately condition your listed stock list.

Teemingjoker

The FX4 is a very powerful canister.
Pretty sure it is providing more than enough resistant current to adequately condition your listed stock list.
Awesome! I wasn't 100% sure. With most fish I knew that'd be the case but with how active primarily the giant danios and denison barbs are made me question it.

Ryngwrayth

I always want my plants to sway. If they are still or barely moving then yes I would add some flow towards the bottom middle. I have one in my 60 because it is quite tall and the current from the middle down is really nonexistent.
I keep Congos and Boesemani and they love it. So do the Embers really. I prefer there be no dead zones where pockets of nasty can hang out.

Teemingjoker

I always want my plants to sway. If they are still or barely moving then yes I would add some flow towards the bottom middle. I have one in my 60 because it is quite tall and the current from the middle down is really nonexistent.
I keep Congos and Boesemani and they love it. So do the Embers really. I prefer there be no dead zones where pockets of nasty can hang out.
definitely have some dead spots regarding water movement due to all the plants and some rock decorations I have, but most of those spots are right near the intake of the fx4.

Ryngwrayth

definitely have some dead spots regarding water movement due to all the plants and some rock decorations I have, but most of those spots are right near the intake of the fx4.
My tank is 24” tall and I use HOB filters for agitation…but no way is that relatively minor current hitting the bottom or stirring the debris so my intakes can grab it. Have had a lot nice plant and happier fish since adding the small powerhead set to go crossways and at about the bottom third of the tank.
You must be registered to see images

Teemingjoker

My tank is 24” tall and I use HOB filters for agitation…but no way is that relatively minor current hitting the bottom or stirring the debris so my intakes can grab it. Have had a lot nice plant and happier fish since adding the small powerhead set to go crossways and at about the bottom third of the tank.
This is true I have my output from filter pointed to surface. Let me see if I can find a somewhat recent image of tank.
This is still an old picture. The ground is completely covered and can't even see back of tank on right side of middle decor.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Skavatar
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
andy305mia
Replies
Views