Should I Get A Neon Tetra?

Discussion in 'Neon Tetra' started by meredithkane, Apr 20, 2019.

1. meredithkaneNew MemberMember

In the last month, multiple bad things have happened to my tank. Like my big fish tank getting ammonia, then I had to move it, then it killed a fish of mine. I have waited a bit, and I want to get new fish. A friend of mine said to get neon tetras, so I just wanted to ask... is that a good idea?

Oh, and it’s a 55 gallon.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2019
  2. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Depends on what else is in the tank and if it has completed the nitrogen cycle. Neons are fragile fish prone to disease and they don't handle going through a fish-in cycle well.

3. Redshark1Fishlore VIPMember

Based on my experiences and advice from my LFS there is a 50/50 chance of getting Neon Tetras with Columnaris.

If you get healthy fish they are hardy, trouble-free and beautiful like jewels. There is hardly a better aquarium fish.

However, if you get them with Columnaris the experience can be very saddening and frustrating and you may wish you had not bought Neons.

Plus, they belong in shoals, the bigger the better. I have 20 Neons in my 40 gallon.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  4. GreekineseNew MemberMember

I have 10 in my 23 gallon tank. I like them! It's like they can tell me when they're hungry. They all bunch up at the same spot in the tank and wait for me to feed them. They also happen to be beautifully colored. I'll make a video next feeding