Should I get a kitten

marijo

Hello

I have a female cat who just turned 8 this summer, I would like to have a kitten and I am wondering if it's a good idea, if they would get alone together. I know a cat is a cat, they all have their own personality so it's hard to tell if it's something that would work or not, until you try it. Just want to know if some of you guys keep together cats with a huge age difference? My cat is gentle and playful!

Jnx

Hello

I have a female cat who just turned 8 this summer, I would like to have a kitten and I am wondering if it's a good idea, if they would get alone together. I know a cat is a cat, they all have their own personality so it's hard to tell if it's something that would work or not, until you try it. Just want to know if some of you guys keep together cats with a huge age difference? My cat is gentle and playful!
Age shouldn't make a difference. You may have more issues if your 8 year old is unspayed.
Don't force them, or intervene too much, let them figure it out. I have lots of tips, feel free to ask.
Kudos, by the way, for seeking advice before just doing it, most people don't give such things much thought.

Falc

I have an 8yo female that has been our only cat for years and earlier this summer we adapted a 2mo male.. After a few days of careful introductions there have been very little problems. Every now and then she will get tired of his "hunting and attack" play and she will let him know she is boss but otherwise they get along very well. I wish I could say the same thing about the kitten and our aquariums!

aliray

I would just keep the kitten locked in another room for a couple of days for the resident cat to get used to the smell of the kitten in the house before introducing them. But most times they will get along. You can go in and play with the kitten ect. You are just trying to introduce them gently to each other. And prevent any confrontation from happening in the first place. Alison

Jnx

Just differing opinions, no criticism meant at all, but I'd be worried about keeping them too forcibly away from each other.
Your resident cat will definitely know the new guy is there, and will want the right to inspect fully. Also, if your 8 year old is suddenly not allowed on her own "territory" bcause of a sudden noob, it might breed resentment. I still would not leave them together unsupervised until a few days pass, but trust your instincts and be creative.

Junne

We got a 3 month old Female kitten awhile back when the older Male cat was 10 years old. We set up a large dog sized kennel and had a bed, cat box, food and water inside for her for about 3 months. We let her out during the day when we could watch her and make sure the 2 can get used to each other. At nights she slept in the kennel.

It took about another 3 months before they were comfortable with each other ( sleeping, eating and playing together ) and now they are inseparable!

The older cat sometimes does not like the "kittenish" shenanigans and sometimes hides in places we have never seen ( like the bathtub ) just to get away from her. Its so funny because she will search the house up and down, "looking for him"

Yes, its nice that the 2 are friends but it did take some work on our part.

Good luck! Who couldn't resist a kitten????

Jnx

I've used the kennel method to great success! We introduced a rescued, insane Rottie to my Shepherd that way. They could talk through the kennel overnight, without human interference. That gorgeous girl had that RottI in line in two days.

marijo

Thanks everybody for the great tips

My cat is neutered and gentle. I am sure she will act like she's the boss and she will probably search for new places to hide when tired of the " that kitten, that's too much for me" but I want to be his friend! I will probably put the kitten in a separate room for a day or two and then use the kennel idea for a while as I will be gone to work. I also have two small dogs, they get alone with cats so it should not be not a problem

corydoralover120

This is a slightly older thread, but nvm.
I have been watching My Cat From , which is about a guy named Jackson Galaxy who's a cat behaviourist. He is amazing, he has saved households on the verge of breaking due to the cat. Animal planet or he has a YouTube channel, if you want proof.

Anyway, his advice, and mine after seeing Cricket's reaction when we fostered a stray for a few days, is take it slow. Use the door method that aliray suggested, and feed them on different sides of the door for a few days, then SLOWLY introduce them.

Another reason I think the slow method is best, my friend just kinda chucked the two in the same room, and they took about 6 months to learn to get along, and the older cat retreated to the backyard for days at a time. Not exactly the best situation, since you're trying to enjoy the kitten and worrying about the other cat.

Good luck, and enjoy your kitten. They are heaps of fun

aliray

How is it going with the new kitten? Alison

marijo

Hello aliray

Didn't get a kitten yet, still thinking about it, I think I'm just waiting to fall in love with one... you know what I mean, sometimes , you get a new animal, just like that, because it's meant to be...my animals are like my babies...I will certainly post some pictures when I will get one! Thanks corydoralover120 for your good advice!

corydoralover120

You're welcome And I know what you mean about the cats. The reason we picked ours was the way he interacted with us, and he's really cute too, which is always a bonus. Good luck finding one

marijo

I'm getting a kitten tomorrow, a little black and white female, I will post some pictures soon!

corydoralover120

Good luck

Alleycat101

I would get a new kitten. I do not currently own a cat at the moment, but I've heard that kittens tend to make older cats appear younger or more playful. And it helps that kittens are just TOO adorable! When you go to the shelter/breeder, introduce your kitten to the older cat so that they can get acclimated to eachother's scents. (Also, make sure they are compatible.)

- Alleycat101

aliray

Congrats on the new kitten your getting. Hubby and I just finished a week of kitten sitting for a friend of ours who has two kittens, female siblings that he adopted from the shelter at 6 weeks of age, Sugar and Spice. We would go over for a couple of hours each day about 3;30 and stay for a couple of hours, let them run around the back lani, hubby would take a dip in the pool, we would have a couple glasses of wine, and just hold play and pet them. They are now 3 months old and full of the dickens. What a tough week. He is lucky they are still there except I already have 2 dogs, one cat, 3 small parrots, and two fish tanks.

Alleycat101

Congrats on the new kitten your getting. Hubby and I just finished a week of kitten sitting for a friend of ours who has two kittens, female siblings that he adopted from the shelter at 6 weeks of age, Sugar and Spice. We would go over for a couple of hours each day about 3;30 and stay for a couple of hours, let them run around the back lani, hubby would take a dip in the pool, we would have a couple glasses of wine, and just hold play and pet them. They are now 3 months old and full of the dickens. What a tough week. He is lucky they are still there except I already have 2 dogs, one cat, 3 small parrots, and two fish tanks.

Wow! What an experience! I only have one dog and lots of fish! I hope to get a kitten in the near future.

marijo

Here's Mustach, my little female, she's 2 months old

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Lucy

Oh my goodness!!! What a little sweety!
Congrats on your new kitty!

marijo

My other cat is 8, It gave me time to forgot how crazy a kitten can be! Worth it, she so cute and watching her go crazy makes me laugh!

corydoralover120

Oh my gosh she gorgeous! Looks kinda like Emmett, but she has different eyes. How's your other cat?

aliray

What a cutie. Love her markings and those little white whiskers. How are the two getting along? Alison

ProtimAquatics

Sweet little kitty.

Alleycat101

Oh my gosh, Marijo! She's precious!
What an adorable baby. Mustache is so cute!

DoubleDutch

Hahaha great !

marijo

Thanks everyone

My cat is scared of her new friend, she growls and ask me to go outside, but they smell each other a few times so that's a start , I know she won't hurt her, she will get used to the kitten, she's an alien for her right now! My ztu made a new friend(crazy shameless friend) and my old pekingese is like "Momy please send her back where she comes from" aliray I named her Mustache because of her white whiskers!

corydoralover120

Until we got Emmie I had no idea that black cats could have white whiskers. Makes them stand out, and Moustache is a great name Sounds like your other cat is being quite tolerant, and the dogs will end up loving the kitten, ours does. Good luck

aliray

I love the name. Our friend used to have a cat that his wife found on a bridge on the Cape Cod Canal when she was riding her bike over it, and they named him Stash because he was part Siamese and had a mustash that looked like Adolf Hitler"s. he lived for close to twenty years. Alison

FeederGuppies

Cute kitten! I love tuxedo cats! lol

DoubleDutch

Is the initial question answered btw?

MommaWilde

So cute!

DoubleDutch

Showed it to my daughter.
We are on our way to.come and get it hahaha

marijo

That would be and expensive and long trip for a kitten!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• cheese
  • Cat
Replies
Views
zcpetty
  • Question
  • Catappa
  • Cat
Replies
Views
surfius