Should I Get A Co2 Setup?

Discussion in 'Plant CO2' started by New Fish in Town, Apr 9, 2017.

1. N

New Fish in Town Well Known Member Member

I have the 24" marineland plant life LED on a 20 gallon high. Ever since I installed it I have been having trouble with green algae growth. I have the white lights on only 6 hours a day. I need to have them on though because I have red ludwigia which needs high powered lights. What type of CO2 system should I get? Will it help? Has anyone ever used the below product I found? I just need advice on how to setup a CO2 system. I heard adding more plants can help get rid of algae, but it seems like adding more plants just gives the algae more places to grow.

2. MrBryan723

MrBryan723 Well Known Member Member

It depends on if there are other things causing the algae to grow. A common fix I see on here is breaking up the light pattern. Like 4 on 2 off 4 on. If it's growing in the plants and not elsewhere it could be a nutrient deficiency as well. What type(s) of ferts or substrate? How many fish and how much do you feed them? How are your nitrates and phosphates?

3. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Agreed, what ferts are you dosing?

4. OP
    OP
    N

I never had a problem with LED lights. I started having problems when I installed the high powered Marineland Blue/White Plant LED. The intense light seems to help it grow. I use flourish exel, flourish iron, and flourish. I have gravel and put some root tabs by the red ludwigia. I just need to find a way to counter the intense light. I can only set it for one cycle. If you cut power to the light you have to turn it back on manually. You have to set the internal timer for blue to come on first, then white to turn on, then white to turn off, then blue to turn off.

What do I need to do to get a CO2 system set up correctly? Is this a good starter one below? I have hatchet fish, cories, serpae tetras, and skirt tetras in my tank.

5. Jamieson22

Jamieson22 Well Known Member Member

CO2 has a bit of a high cost of entry. Unless you eBay the parts you are better to spend for quality than risk it for less.

Here are some setups worth considering:

I also wonder if the Fluval 88g setup would suffice in a 20g? Maybe see if it can convert to use paintball tanks?

6. -Mak-

I don't know much about pressurized systems, so unfortunately I can't tell you if it looks good or not.

It sounds like your algae problems come from too much light and not enough CO2, and later on you will want more ferts if you use CO2.

DIY CO2 is also an option, it has its own problems but it has a much cheaper start up cost.

7. OP
    OP
    N

What type of ferts would I have to add, if I get a CO2 setup?

8. -Mak-

Macros and micros
    I use Nilocg thrive, highly recommended.

Btw, I see you're in Raleigh NC, what LFS do you go to?

9. OP
    OP
    N

Pet Smart mainly. I've bought stuff at Petco, The Fish Room in Cary, and Aquarium Outfitters in Wake Forest too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice