Should I Get A Betta?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by phantom, Apr 19, 2018.

1. phantom

phantom Valued Member Member

can everyone help me with this I'm back and forth :) if so what kind?

2. lizcateyes

lizcateyes Valued Member Member

What about getting a betta are you uncertain about? If you already have a tank that is at least 5 gallons, that can have a filter and heater, you should be fine as far as having a betta work out in it, assuming it is the only fish in it, or housed with a snail, although many would advise having a 10 gallon set up for the betta. If you already have a tank setup and have some fish in it, then knowing what those are would be helpful in figuring out whether a betta would be a good fit in that community as different fish have different temperature needs.

As far as what kind of betta, that is a subjective matter, I would say pick a betta in a color or tail variety that you like :) In case my avatar doesn't give it away, I am partial to bettas with longer fins and tails, and though I know the koi variety are just marbled bettas, I think they look neat.

3. Iridium_2256

Iridium_2256 Valued Member Member

I'm having the same issue myself mate. I'm looking into wild type varieties like the wine reds. I want to try my hand with some easy plants as well, like java fern and a few moss balls, all packed in a currently idle 5 gallon.

4. OP
    OP
    phantom

I have a 5g available but I want to know if everyone thinks there fun interesting fish

5. M

Madeline Peterson New Member Member

You definitely should. Remember that its tank needs to be at least 2.5 gallons, though, no matter what the people at the pet store say.

As for type, what matters is what you like. All betta types are the same species and have roughly the same care requirements, just like different breeds of cat. Get whatever type looks prettiest to you.

Some places offer female bettas. I like them better than the males because, while they aren't quite as pretty, they have more personality. I had one that liked trying to eat my finger.

Only keep one betta in a tank. They fight. Peaceful fsh that don't look like bettas can be ok tank mates, though.

6. lizcateyes

lizcateyes Valued Member Member

The 5g should be fine to house one betta, as long as you have a filter and heater for it (or live somewhere where you wouldn't need a heater). At the end of the day, you're the one that will be caring for it, so you should think the fish is an interesting fish more than what anyone else might think.

7. b

blueangelfish Valued Member Member

u should get one. They hav A LOT of personality!:D

8. Bettafishies126

Bettafishies126 Valued Member Member

If you are looking for a fish that will interact with you, I'd 100% recommend a betta, they get excited as soon as they see my door move when I come in my room and they follow me around swimming around the tank. As for choosing one, go to a store that has plenty to choose from and take a good look at them all and I promise you at least one will speak to you, sometimes more than one will, that's why bettas are addictive!

9. b

blueangelfish Valued Member Member

u can teach them tricks toooo

10. OP
    OP
    phantom

ok I think I'm going to give it a try after I'm confident on how to fully care for them recommendations on type and color

11. Bettafishies126

Bettafishies126 Valued Member Member

If you want one who looks kind of goofy but beautiful, id recommend dumbo bettas, I love mine. 20180415_110825.jpg

12. OP
    OP
    phantom

that's a beautiful betta I think ill give bettas a try thanks everyone

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice