Should I get a 2nd Gourami?

JettsPapa

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello,

I'm not adding any more fish until I get my ick problem under control, but assuming I have any fish left at that point, and assuming my male Pearl gourami is one of the survivors (he hasn't shown any symptoms so far), should I try to find a female, or leave him as the only gourami in the tank? He likes to chase my white skirt tetras, but it seems half-hearted. He just makes quick dashes at them, and stops when they move away. I've never seen him make contact with one.

AngryRainbow

Well Known Member
Reaction score
What size tank is it?

Typically with pearls its recommended to do at least 2 females so the male isn't only focused on one female and harrassing

Amya

Reaction score
I wouldn't. I too have a Male pearl with white skirt tetras. He usually totally ignores them. But anytime I've tried to introduce a member of the gourami species, he attacks and harasses. I think being in the same family as Bettas they are better off alone being "king of the tank".

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't. I too have a Male pearl with white skirt tetras. He usually totally ignores them. But anytime I've tried to introduce a member of the gourami species, he attacks and harasses. I think being in the same family as Bettas they are better off alone being "king of the tank".
I disagree and have different experiences.

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Three-spot and pearl gourami are quite well known for having sharply differing personalities. Some don't tolerate other gourami at all, and some are totally peaceful and appreciate a partner. Others are anywhere in between. You won't know until you try, but if you do, make sure to have some back-up plan (a different tank, an online marketplace to rehome or ask beforehand if you can return the gourami if it doesn't work out) in case your male (or the new female) turns out to have a less tolerant attitude.

JettsPapa

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I had a dwarf gourami in with him for a while, and he didn't bother it. I gave it to my daughter-in-law because the mollies kept pecking at it like it had algae on it. I've never sen them do that with the pearl.

So based on the replies so far I'm leaning toward getting one or two if I can find them. If it doesn't work out I'm sure my daughter-in-law will be happy to take them too.

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Was the other gourami a pearl? Or a different species of gourami?
Three-spot and pearl gourami are quite well known for having sharply differing personalities. Some don't tolerate other gourami at all, and some are totally peaceful and appreciate a partner. Others are anywhere in between. You won't know until you try, but if you do, make sure to have some back-up plan (a different tank, an online marketplace to rehome or ask beforehand if you can return the gourami if it doesn't work out) in case your male (or the new female) turns out to have a less tolerant attitude.
True. Three-spots are known for being more aggressive of the two. Most pearls seem to be on the more peaceful side, which is where their reputation comes from. But mine is a piece of work. Good to have a back-up plan just in case.
I had a dwarf gourami in with him for a while, and he didn't bother it. I gave it to my daughter-in-law because the mollies kept pecking at it like it had algae on it. I've never sen them do that with the pearl.

So based on the replies so far I'm leaning toward getting one or two if I can find them. If it doesn't work out I'm sure my daughter-in-law will be happy to take them too.
Mixing other gourami species can be more of a risk than mixing pearls imo. He will hopefully do well with more pearls if that's the case. Just keep an eye out. Mine calmed a lot after adding a female. Then he snapped. I do tend to recommend more than a single pearl gourami in a tank though. How big is the tank?

JettsPapa

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mixing other gourami species can be more of a risk than mixing pearls imo. He will hopefully do well with more pearls if that's the case. Just keep an eye out. Mine calmed a lot after adding a female. Then he snapped. I do tend to recommend more than a single pearl gourami in a tank though. How big is the tank?
It's a 40-gallon breeder.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would only do it if you have tall visual breaks, I've got a "Gourami community" with Pearls and a Dwarf, in my tank they typically have little interactions but the male Pearl will chase away the female Pearls from time to time.
You could try it but like stated above have a backup plan to separate them.

Lynn Klaus

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would leave it as is, unless you really want to get one. Are you really just looking for an excuse to get one?

Some times the Gourami just want to entertain themselves and spark a fight! I don’t think he is trying to hurt your other fish!

JettsPapa

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would leave it as is, unless you really want to get one. Are you really just looking for an excuse to get one?

Some times the Gourami just want to entertain themselves and spark a fight! I don’t think he is trying to hurt your other fish!
Me, looking for an excuse to buy more fish? What a ridiculous idea!!! Well, maybe I am.

But I agree. I'm still new to this, but it doesn't seem like he's serious, and as I said above, if I do get a couple of females and it doesn't work out I'm sure my daughter-in-law will be more than happy to take them off my hands.

Lynn Klaus

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Me, looking for an excuse to buy more fish? What a ridiculous idea!!! Well, maybe I am.

But I agree. I'm still new to this, but it doesn't seem like he's serious, and as I said above, if I do get a couple of females and it doesn't work out I'm sure my daughter-in-law will be more than happy to take them off my hands.
I knew it!!! I myself have been thinking about getting an angel but I wanted to wait till I come back from vacation three weeks from now. The wait is killing me, but I have to be patient. Can’t have my neighbor’s daughter feeding a new fish. I have every habit detailed! Is that too neurotic?

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I knew it!!! I myself have been thinking about getting an angel but I wanted to wait till I come back from vacation three weeks from now. The wait is killing me, but I have to be patient. Can’t have my neighbor’s daughter feeding a new fish. I have every habit detailed! Is that too neurotic?
Don't get a single angel.

Lynn Klaus

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a fish place that recommends all my fish you say one is not enough? I’ll have to ask when I buy. I have a thirty gallon tank, with plenty of hiding places. Maybe I’ll consider.

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a fish place that recommends all my fish you say one is not enough? I’ll have to ask when I buy. I have a thirty gallon tank, with plenty of hiding places. Maybe I’ll consider.
As in your LFS advises what to stock with? I'd be careful getting advise from a shop. Lots of people are given terrible advise when dealing with shop employees. My LFS is great but I wouldn't take their word without lots of research. As for angels, they are kept alone all the time. I really don't like recommending solo fish personally (depending on the fish of course). People underestimate how social fish can be - and angels do well in groups. Many do keep them singly though.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As in your LFS advises what to stock with? I'd be careful getting advise from a shop. Lots of people are given terrible advise when dealing with shop employees. My LFS is great but I wouldn't take their word without lots of research. As for angels, they are kept alone all the time. I really don't like recommending solo fish personally (depending on the fish of course). People underestimate how social fish can be - and angels do well in groups. Many do keep them singly though.
Agree. They are kept alone cause the proper space / needs can't be provided to keep more.

I seriously hate keeping social fish single cause of that reason.

I once adopted a single angle from a tiny tank. Being alone in that tiny tank had made it the most asocial fish I have ever kept. Pure frustration !

Joshaeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Not much to add to the above...whether you can add more pearls depends on how much cover is in your tank and the demeanor of the pearl already in there. I have kept a lot of paradise fish (almost universally considered to be more aggressive than pearl gouramies) in pairs or small groups, and so long as the tank was at least 10 gallons for a pair (larger for a group) and there was plenty of cover, they did fine together other than an occasional chase.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom