should I fully submerge and place horizontally??

Discussion in 'Heaters' started by aquatic1, Nov 25, 2013.

1. aquatic1

aquatic1Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    Just started
    I have an eheim jager 50w heater for my 10g. Right now my tank is divided so there is no room to submerge it horizontally. However that may change in a month or so. So what I'm wondering is if I should place it horizontally or keep it how I have it?

It is currently vertically placed, with the water filled to about an inch above the minimum water line. I like having the dial easily accessible. But if submerging it will make it work more efficiently, I'm willing to try.

If I do change it, should I do so slowly by slanting it first, and slowly slanting it more once a week until it's horizontal? Will changing it make the heater break since it has never been fully submerged?

I had a heater malfunction once already and I do not want that disaster again. So it's safe to say I'm a little nervous.

2. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +313
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Good morning,

It is said that placing the heaters horizontally is more effective and spreads the heat more evenly throughout the tank. However, the cords on my heaters for my 265g tank are not long enough to place them horizontally so they are all vertical and I do not have any issues. I think maintaining the water temperature is more important than placement of the heater.

Ken

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  3. tonycarder

tonycarderValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    2 years
    That's a pretty good question. I guess I never really thought about it. All the tanks I've seen including my own are vertical.

4. OP
    OP
    aquatic1

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    Just started
    Yeah, me too. I almost always see them vertical. Just a question considering the weather is getting colder and we don't really run the central heat much so it could get chilly.

5. Redviper

RedviperNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    TBH, I don't think it makes much difference. One thing though, I haven't seen many heater mounts that seem designed for horizontal placement.

6. psalm18.2

psalm18.2Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +733
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I have a Hydor that states it can be placed horizontally. But I've had other brands that state to keep vertical. Look on the box and see what it suggest.

7. ricmcc

ricmccWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +47
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I rather doubt that the orientation of the heater matters very much to its efficiency, especially given the amount of water movement common in tanks..Where horizontal placement does help me is in saving the odd heater when I forget to unplug it during W/Cs.
    Also, if kept near the bottom, I find them slightly easier to hide.--rick

8. Redviper

RedviperNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I'm trying hard to break personality-based quirk where I see an aquarium as an environment as opposed to a habitat. Until recently, after about 40-years of fish keeping, I would have never considered hiding something as beautiful as a well-designed heater. :)

9. slade

sladeValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I don't think orientation matters, mine are all angled to make the controls reachable. Make sure it's not touching gravel where heat can build up. I try to place it near the filter where water movement can distribute it. And double check that it's unplugged during water changes.

10. OP
    OP
    aquatic1

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    Just started
    I have my equipment plugged into a power strip so that I can switch it all off at once for water changes. Very helpful.

11. Teleost

TeleostWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +13
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Me too.

12. sophieydg

sophieydgWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    3 years
    I have both my heaters placed diagonally in my tanks. So the heat is more spread out but the dial is still easy to reach. :)

13. _Fried_Bettas_

_Fried_Bettas_Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +85
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    In theory horizontal orientation is more efficient, but in reality it doesn't matter. Except in a situation like my betta breeding tanks where there is no water circulation at all. Put it however it works best for you aesthetically and practically. I do like to get it as low as possible so I can make small water changes without shutting down equipment.

14. ricmcc

ricmccWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +47
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Yes, that would be helpful. I, however, rely on my bear-trap like memory, which might explain why I go though so many heaters:)-----rick
    What was the question, again?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  15. detroit_fan

detroit_fanNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    i've run jager heaters exclusively for many years, always fully submerged and horizontal, works great.

16. OP
    OP
    aquatic1

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hmmm. Well now that my tank is undivided I have the room to do so... but I like having the dial within easy reach for adjustments as needed, even if I don't need to adjust it often. Or ever actually lol. Now that there's more room, I have it kind of tilted at an angle, but the very head of it is still above water.

17. detroit_fan

detroit_fanNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    whatever works bess for you, just wanted to let you know that running them fully submerged and horizontal long term will not harm them. i learned long ago to never trust a hobby grade heater without a separate temp controller, so i use a ranco with my jagers and any adjustments that i need to do i can do with the ranco. i've seen thousands of dollars of fish and corals die from a faulty heater, so dropped $60 on a ranco temp controller when i started my first reef tank and now i use them on everything

18. OP
    OP
    aquatic1

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    Just started
    I just have a paranoia about electrical cords being submerged in water. Even if their meant to be lol

19. junebug

junebugFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +2,259
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I had that paranoia too. It quickly went away when I realized that my heater exploding and boiling my fish because it broke when the water level lowered was much more likely than anyone being electrocuted.

20. _Fried_Bettas_

_Fried_Bettas_Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +85
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You have an entire electrical device submerged in water, the cord itself a much lesser risk. The cord is extremely well insulated and it would take a lot of abuse to damage it enough to be a danger. But I admit, I worried a bit too when I first put electrical cords in water. I remember fretting about a pump.