Should i follow this video to treat dropsy?

Awesomeneptune

Im pretty sure that my betta fish has dropsy. Yesterday I noticed him lying on the ground a lot, on his side and normally. He didn't come up to the top for food and only moved to gulp water from the surface. He was also bloated and pineconing a bit. He's about the same today, maybe moving less though although not 100% sure as I've been at school all day ):

Anyway I found a video about treating dropsy just now and wondering if it's worth a try? Or whether there's better options. I know epsom salt baths are recommended but I'm very worried about the high risks that accompany them, although I guess there are risks with all medication.

This is the video:

It basically says to put your betta in a hospital tank and then add 1/4 tsp of epsom salt per 10 gallons along with a dosage of antibacterial medication (kanaplex, erythromycin etc). He also says you can afeed them a medicated food if you want but I think that seems like a lot of different medications.

If you need to know more about my bettas condition, I've got another thread on it too. Just ltrying to figure out if this method would work

MacZ

He says a lot of correct things, e.g. that dropsy is a symptom, and most often associated with an infection with an opportunistic bacterium. I like the degree of information in the video. It's not dumbed down as most other videos on the topic.

Epsom salt solution changes osmotic pressure, meaning the water wants is drawn from the fishes body. This actually works, with higher concentrations as a short (5-10min) bath but ONLY relieves the symptom. Nothing else. The kindeys are still failing.

Adding antibiotics is something I am generally critical of and in this case especially: Most antibiotics work on gram-positive or gram-negative bacteria and few work on both. You have no way to know which type of bacterium you are dealing with.
He mentions Aeromonas, which are not always present. If you raise the temp and the infection is caused by a gram-positive (I hope I remember that right) this will make it worse.
The problem: Antibiotics are very hard on kidneys and liver. The chance the treatment kills the fish is quite high.

He says in the video, there's no guarantee and the fish might be over the edge, and that euthanizing it is an option.
And he is right in doing so and I like that he says so, because from what he says he knows the contra-indications I noted above.

Now the question is: Is it worth it?
It might sound cruel, but please be aware: 8 out of 10 fish with dropsy, treated with antibiotics or not, do NOT make it. You may invest a lot of work, nerves and money into treating a fish which is probably suffering quite a lot while you do so and it may indeed be the more humane thing to consider euthanazia instead of a treatment.

Also something very important: If you choose to use antibiotics you HAVE TO improve the fishes holding conditions in its tank. You can save a fishes life with medication, but it doesn't make sense if it has to live in conditions that caused stress and thus the infection in the first place. So it might happen you are back at square one only a few weeks later.

If that happens antibiotics will slowly kill the fish and make the bacteria resistant. Both you surely don't want to happen.

I hope all this info helps you to make a responsible and informed decision. Good luck.

Awesomeneptune

Thank you very much for this. I'm think I'm going to move him into the hospital tank if he's still got hope tomorrow. And do a dip with the salt. I know it's an extremely small chance but I really want to try, so I'll give it my best shot

MacZ

Thank you very much for this. I'm think I'm going to move him into the hospital tank if he's still got hope tomorrow. And do a dip with the salt. I know it's an extremely small chance but I really want to try, so I'll give it my best shot
You're welcome. Just know when to quit. Sick fish deserve a quick and humane death instead of long agony.
I wish you good nerves and good judgement.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JCM
Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views