Question Should I Find New Home For Bn Pleco And Replace With 2 Cories

Aprilamy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a 75 gallon stocked with 4 angel fish: 2 Dalmatian mollies: 2 GBR: 2 cherry barbs: 1 dwarf gourami ; 1 male Betta ( I know) ; 2 slate blue cories and 2 peppered cories; 1 peppered loach and 2 otos; I know this is a crazy stocking but had to consolidate into 1 tank. I was reading about BN maybe sucking slime coat off others fish. I was wondering if I should rehome him and get 2 more cories of either type I already have. I always appreciate your thoughts as don’t really have anymore around me who also enjoys fish keeping. Thanks in advance.

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You have some incomplete schools. I'd up the barbs, loaches, each cory and otos to at least 6 if you can. My bristlenose has never harmed another fish. I would say it should be fine unless you have noticed it going for the slime coat.

OP
Aprilamy

Aprilamy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you know for sure he is doing this, then yes you should
How would I be able to tell if he is?

You have some incomplete schools. I'd up the barbs, loaches, each cory and otos to at least 6 if you can. My bristlenose has never harmed another fish. I would say it should be fine unless you have noticed it going for the slime coat.
Thanks. I have had the BN for over 6 mo and he’s getting bigger his whiskers are growing. I considered rehoming my cherry barbs and would my otos if I could catch them! Lol. Then maybe up my cories as we both like them and enjoy watching their antics.

Just worried about bioload as can not get a bigger tank.

Last edited by a moderator:

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If your pleco hasn't gone for any fish it should be fine. If no fish looks like they have had their slime coat sucked off (you would know) and you haven't seen the pleco sucking on any I wouldn't worry. Mine has never gone for a fish. They are a common community fish.

This is a 75 gallon tank. More corys won't cause much trouble.

OP
Aprilamy

Aprilamy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Are we talking about a 75 Gallon tank ?
If so, up the shoals of Corys indeed without rehomibg the BN.

The story about the BN's is ridiculous to me (keeping 7 BN's).
Thank you and yes 75 gallon. I have 4 angels so know they will get bigger was concern. My husbands favorite has always been the cories.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bn plecos have been known to go after the slime coat on discus. Discus have a heavy slime coat. But that’s the only fish I heard them going after. I have one in two different tanks and they are fine. One is a discus tank. You’ll know if he’s eating them by the round circle marks of there mouths. Do you have driftwood in your tank? Bn eat driftwood.

OP
Aprilamy

Aprilamy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Bn plecos have been known to go after the slime coat on discus. Discus have a heavy slime coat. But that’s the only fish I heard them going after. I have one in two different tanks and they are fine. One is a discus tank. You’ll know if he’s eating them by the round circle marks of there mouths. Do you have driftwood in your tank? Bn eat driftwood.
No but I can put a small piece in for him

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had a pair of tiger plecos that used to suck on the sides of my angels at night. I could tell because they had round red circular marks with missing scales. But I have 5 BNs in a few community tanks including angelfish and none of them go for the angels. I've never seen that with BN plecos either. One BN in a 75g isn't going to increase bioload too much IMO.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My guys live on the driftwood. No expert but was told all plecos like driftwood. Can’t hurt. Looks good too! .
I was also surprised because my BNs all have DW and live on it too. Probably good for all plecos, but not a necessity like more carnivorous plecos.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've had several bn with a discus in qt before with no issues biggest thing is to make sure they are getting enough food in the first place to prevent them from starting to suck on the slime coat, once they start they will not stop as it is an easy food source.
Bns like driftwood as a hiding place and will rasp on it for the microfauna and flora living on it.

OP
Aprilamy

Aprilamy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I had a pair of tiger plecos that used to suck on the sides of my angels at night. I could tell because they had round red circular marks with missing scales. But I have 5 BNs in a few community tanks including angelfish and none of them go for the angels. I've never seen that with BN plecos either. One BN in a 75g isn't going to increase bioload too much IMO.
Thanks!

I just adopted 2 older cories from my local fish guy. I have 4 peppered ones now. Not sure if the 2 new ones are full grown but larger than my other 4. Seem to be getting along so far.
IMG_1481.jpg

I think someone must have surrendered them for some reason. Maybe getting too big for the tank.

Last edited by a moderator:

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just adopted 2 older cories from my local fish guy. I have 4 peppered ones now. Not sure if the 2 new ones are full grown but larger than my other 4. Seem to be getting along so far. View attachment 586070
Nice, if they are larger already than your other peppered cories, your own might be males and the newbies are females. So watch out for eggs on the glass

The only issue with peppered cories is they prefer cooler water than angels. What temp do you have the tank at? I wouldn't go any lower than 78°f for angels. 78° is also the very max I'd do for peppered cories.

I agree with Rhonda's comment, I can't keep livebearers myself because my water is too soft, and mollies are needing minerals even more than the other livebearer types.

Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Weekly

Votes: 33 63.5%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 10 19.2%

Top Bottom