Question Should I feed my pregnant platy a bit more?

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello!
I have a pregnant platy, I am not too sure how far along she is exactly because shes pretty round anyways, but her gravid spot is quite visible and a rosey red. I have noticed the past two days that she has gotten quite the appetite on her, she's constantly searching and eating. I even saw her take a bloodworm right out of the mouth of one of my tetras at feeding time!
Normally she is quite timid and shy, but she is starting to get a bit aggressive when it comes to food.

I feed a pinch of flake food twice a day, and once a day at night I usually give them some sort of protein. Frozen brine, or bloodworms.
I also put either a piece of lettuce or zuccini in there as well.

Is this normal for a pregnant platy? Should I increase the feedings? I don't want to overfeed them, but at the same time she is being quite relentless.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Tatty,

I don't think I would stray from your regular feeding schedule. Adding more food may bring up water quality issues and you don't want that

Ken

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
See that is what I am afraid of! This is the first time in my life I have had a successful tank with the fish doing well (They always died b/c the person at the pet store didn't tell us about the nitrogen cycle when I was a kid) and I don't want to do anything to rock the boat.
Do pregnant fish need to eat more, it won't hurt gestation by limiting her food will it?

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
limiting its food shouldnt really hurt the development of the new little fry inside of her, I dont think any extra food would be necessary, especially because it would be difficult to make sure she was the only one getting extra food. Also Ive always noticed my platies are almost constantly scavenin the tank for any type of sustenance they can find! Im sure shes getting her fill. Feeding a varied diet would be great for the pregnant mother, frozen brine shrimp, cucumber slices, algae wafers, and even insects you can swat out of the air can help make sure the mother is getting all the necessary nutrients she needs to ensure she will have a nice batch of healthy fry, best of luck!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom