Should I Expect Babies?

• Total voters

Demeterite

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
IMG_20180116_071036.jpg
So.

The LSF (Pet Valu) I purchased my mollies from told me all my fish were male. After comparing photos with the internet, I think my black lyretail is actually female.

Can any of you confirm?

If so, can my two balloon mollies impregnate her?

IMG_20180106_181537.jpg IMG_20180116_070839.jpg 26267891_1931731997144372_5062791136515457024_n.jpg 26156112_1716617625026057_5200337279486263296_n.jpg

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Lyretail looks female, and yes they should be able to impregnate her. However, I'd rehome her. As the lone female in the tank, she could be harassed to death by the males.

OP
Demeterite

Demeterite

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
TexasDomer said:
Lyretail looks female, and yes they should be able to impregnate her. However, I'd rehome her. As the lone female in the tank, she could be harassed to death by the males.
It's a 20-gallon (tall?) tank. She's seriously one of my favorites so I don't want to rehome her. I am currently working on getting my [beginner mistake] fish-in cycle stabilized (1 week in). Once I complete that, I had been planning on getting a few more fish. I have 3 platies and 3 mollies currently. I was planning on getting more platies... but maybe I should focus on mollies instead?

How many more female mollies should I add? 3?

Would 3 platies (all presumably male) and 6 mollies be too much for a 20G tank? What WOULD be too much?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
A 20 gal tall tank is too small for the mollies 3 more mollies would be way too many.

It's arguably too much, but I would do the 3 male platies and the 2 male balloon mollies. The female will get too big, and it is not safe to keep her with two males. You don't have room to add more females either. You will be overstocked with those fish alone, not to mention all the babies they will have (no, not all of the babies will be eaten).

Can you upgrade your tank size? Do you have something you can do with all the fry?

OP
Demeterite

Demeterite

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
TexasDomer said:
A 20 gal tall tank is too small for the mollies 3 more mollies would be way too many.

It's arguably too much, but I would do the 3 male platies and the 2 male balloon mollies. The female will get too big, and it is not safe to keep her with two males. You don't have room to add more females either. You will be overstocked with those fish alone, not to mention all the babies they will have (no, not all of the babies will be eaten).

Can you upgrade your tank size? Do you have something you can do with all the fry?
I have a friend with a 30-gal she's willing to give me for free. However, I can't set it up until I move which may be after March.

OP
Demeterite

Demeterite

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm going to start looking for a home for the two male mollies. I'm not really attached to them like I am the rest of the tank.

This will take me to:

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Did you just add the pleco? I would personally take it out unless you upgrade - plecos are messy and a 20 gal isn't very big. They're not good algae eaters, either. I would also still upgrade for the female molly. They can get rather long, and a 20 gal tall isn't very long.

emeraldking

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Don't worry about those male balloon mollies. If they'll try to harrass her, she'll swim away from those males. She's faster than those balloon mollies.

OP
Demeterite

Demeterite

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
TexasDomer said:
Did you just add the pleco? I would personally take it out unless you upgrade - plecos are messy and a 20 gal isn't very big. They're not good algae eaters, either. I would also still upgrade for the female molly. They can get rather long, and a 20 gal tall isn't very long.
I didn't just add him. He's been there since the beginning. He is about 2.5" right now but will only get 4" (per this thread how big is my rubber lip pleco going to actually get..). I didn't get him for the algae so I'm not worried about that.

I have already found a home for the male mollies... they head over this afternoon.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would still consider upgrading, if you can 4" plecos can be quite messy!

OP
Demeterite

Demeterite

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
TexasDomer said:
I would still consider upgrading, if you can 4" plecos can be quite messy!
Well. I moved everyone into a bucket last night while I vacuumed and then rearranged the tank to add a bubble habitat for the crab. The pleco was absolutely panicking when I tried to catch her in the bucket. I finally had to just dump her in straight from the bucket. This morning, I think she's dead (upside down on the gravel, not moving).

So. Fixed that stocking problem. Oops.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oh no, I'm sorry you lost her

What kind of crab do you have?

New Threads