Should I Euthanize My Fish?

gilbertsmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My fish has been struggling with columnaris (cottonmouth) for a few days now & I don’t think he’ll get better He also looks a little bloated so could it be dropsy? I don’t want him to die but I don’t want him to suffer anymore. The first pic is from 2 days ago & the 2nd pic is from today.
IMG_8693.JPG
Image1525301025.237930.jpg

Wystearya

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh, I'm sorry. He looks bad to me.

I would say wait for another opinion, but I personally would probably say this fish doesn't have much of a chance. I have not dealt with that type of problem myself though, so do please see if someone else has any other advice.

gilbertsmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wystearya said:
Oh, I'm sorry. He looks bad to me.

I would say wait for another opinion, but I personally would probably say this fish doesn't have much of a chance. I have not dealt with that type of problem myself though, so do please see if someone else has any other advice.
Thank you! I’ve tried treating him but the medication I purchased is apparently ineffective & I think I caught it too late anyway I thought he just scratched himself on his plant :/

Wystearya

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Again, I'm sorry to see this.

Hopefully someone else with more experience will post soon.

Tyler Maul

Reaction score
I'm sorry.
Pimafix cured on of my bluegills which had it in between your pictures but the 2nd one died because it was covered in it. He would have made it but I didn't buy it in person I bought it through Amazon and 2day shipping wasn't fast enough . What I learned if you see an open wound you should treat it with melefix so there's is no infection. You should also keeps ammonia and your fishes stress low because they get ill most when they are stressed. My longear sunfish is currently dying from ammonia poisoning and he's so stressed he now has fin rot.

Wystearya

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm sorry.

Sometimes these diseases are aggressive and fast. I don't know what he had for sure, but Columnaris can be very hard to treat.

If you do get another fish, please read up on how to safely disinfect his tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom