Should I euthanize my cichlid?

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Daemonx101, Apr 8, 2010.

1. D

Daemonx101 New Member Member

Hi, I know this is a very sad topic, and even a tougher decision for me, but if I could get some advice, it would really help.

I've had my first cichlid tank for about 8 months now.
    One of my cichlids sort of fell behind in the growth race, where most of my cichlids are now about 3-3.5 inches (one is practically 4 inches), and he around 2 inches. But he was equally agressive, and was able to fend for himself quite well, was eating fine; nothing seemed to be wrong.

However the other day I went to feed my fish in the morning and noticed His tail was missing! A small part of his tail remained, but I could see extensions of bone sticking out. I immediately cleaned the tank and
    put him into a second tank (which someone told me was a bad idea, as I can no longer reintroduce him)
    I am a university student so I really don't have a world of time. But I cant stand seeing him like this. (Its been about a week since the incidence.)
    Should I euthanize him?

Sorry for the long info, but I'm hoping it would give someone a better picture of whats going on. I'd really appreciate the help.

2. crazedACD

crazedACD Valued Member Member

If he's already lasted a week, I wouldn't euthanize yet! If he is doing OK, his tail will grow back and he will recover. What is his behavior like, is he eating, swimming around, etc? I wouldn't put him back in the tank, but try and get him to recover and then return him to a fish store (or give him to someone who can care for him) if you can't house him separately.

3. OP
    OP
    D

Daemonx101 New Member Member

Thanks for the input. He eats, though very little. When I was taking him out of the tank he really went wild, and was in shock for about 2 days. He has calmed down a bit.
    Unfortunately, I'm really not aware of how to deal with these sort of things. Things were very stable for a long time. Also I'm in university and really can't afford lots of time at the moment. I don't want to end up neglecting it and having it die that way.

Thanks! I'm going to help him recover as much as I can, and then yes, return him to a fish store.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice