Should I Euthanize My Betta Who Has Dropsy Help

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by MasonL14, Apr 22, 2018.

1. MasonL14Valued MemberMember

Hello, I would like all of your opinions on whether or not euthanizing my Betta would be the right choice, or if he still has hope.

Check my 2 recent posts for 2 separate update threads that sort of show the progression of his sickness.

Here is a picture from today.

IMG_2972.JPG

His left side Gill is now bloated and extruding from his already bloated body.

I have clove oil that I would use to euthanize him.

I’ve been treating him with Epsom and Jungle Fungus Clear the past 2 weeks.

Thanks

2. TheblitchwitchNew MemberMember

Hello MasonL14, I am so sorry to hear that your fish has dropsy! Dropsy is a very difficult disease to deal with. A few years ago, I adopted some betta with this disease. I understand how awful it is.

What I could think to recommend for you to try that you may not have tried already is adding in some aquarium salt(1 tbsp per gallon) and using a broad-spectrum antibiotic such as Macaryn Two. Antibiotics are what I used for my adopted betta fish and I put them on a 10-day treatment in a quarantine tank to eradicate the disease. It worked well for most of them.

I do know that fish that are stressed or have a weaker immune system are more susceptible to the disease. Keeping your fish on a high-quality, variety diet and maintaining tank cleanliness will limit their chances of getting ill. I would also do a water change just incase, if you haven't already.

I wish you luck and I hope you are able to cure your fish!

3. CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

Usually if caught early enough it can be solved, but this is very late. The survival rate is probably down to like maybe 10 out of 100...

4. MasonL14Valued MemberMember

Aquarium salt, not epsom salt?

5. WanhiBettaValued MemberMember

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice