Should I Euthanise My Cichlid? Important

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by The fish guy11122, Apr 9, 2017.

1. The fish guy11122

The fish guy11122 Valued Member Member

I came to my tank today to find that my female marble peacock (who was carrying fry) was getting beaten up and attacked by all my other cichlids. She was near the top and all the cichlids were biting at her fins and both her eyes were destroyed!! I quickly moved her to my fry tank where she spat out all the un developed fry where they got eaten by the bigger fry. Anyway about an hour later she has chilled out abit and is stating to improve (I think anyway) but what sort of quality of life does she have. She is now blind in both eyes and has all ripped fins. Will she survive in a cichlid tank now she is blind? What should i do!! Please help!!

2. Kasshan

Kasshan Well Known Member Member

she will not survive in an aggressive community ever again, breeding is also unlikely as a male wont accept her. i know what i would do, question is, do you have the mettle to give it a quick death? or a you softie with an extra tank willing to a put sub-par fish on solo display?

3. w

wem21 Well Known Member Member

I would euthanize her with the clove oil method. She isnt going to have a too high quality life after being blinded. She can also be in a tank by herself, but you will need to do extra work to make sure she can eat.

4. OP
    OP
    The fish guy11122

I don't really have any spare tanks for her to go in but one of her eyes might still have hope. It has been punctured but it still looks somewhat normal. Is there a way to tell if fish are blind because there could still be hope for the one eye. The other one is completely demolished and I can't even make out that it is an eye. Any ideas what could have caused all the other fish to gang up on her so I can prevent it in the future

5. w

wem21 Well Known Member Member

You can try scaring her visually i.e sudden movements at her to see if she reacts to tell if she is completely blind. Chichlids are aggressive fish, and things like this arent exactly rare, so I think uts just natures way.

6. Kasshan

they probably wanted to eat her babies, also i would not be optimistic abt the other eye. likely it can sense light and movement but no detail. useless.

a wet paper towel with the fish sandwiched inside a ziploc combined with a dry freezer. instant death and very cheap. clove oil is used for euthanization when you want to make yourself better about the deed

7. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_ Well Known Member Member

Blind fish actually usually fare quite well once they get used to their surroundings, and her fins will heal eventually. I would give her a chance. You probably won't be able to put her back in the cichlid tank though, if they've attacked her once they are likely to do it again.

8. OP
    OP
    The fish guy11122

Could she go in a community tank?

9. Kasshan

ye it could go ok in a community tank but even peaceful fish like tetras can harass a fish they know is in distress or weak, and aesthetically it wont "fit" anywhere really anymore. your choice is binary. if you cant find a nice home for it, then your choice is obvious. either way you should not prolong its misery.

10. OP
    OP
    The fish guy11122

I think the right thing to do would be to end her suffering. I have read online that a quick hard blow to the head is one if the most painless methods. Is this true?

11. FishWhishes

FishWhishes New Member Member

Honestly, I don't know about the quick hard blow to the head but here are some humane ways to euthanize a fish. Hopefully this helps.

12. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Ask yourself, would you like to be killed by an alien if you were blind? Or would you like to be given a chance?
    And just in case you would like to be killed, give the cichlid a chance! You dont even know if she is suffering or not. Try to get her back on her feet.
    And I seriously doubt a blow to the head is painless. Do you think it is painless to get hit in the head? It is almost like people telling that slitting a cow´s throat is humane.
    Killing is not humane, let the fish have a chance.

13. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

If you feel it necessary to euthanize the fish, either clove oil or spike the brain (slightly behind the eye). I prefer the latter as it is cheaper and the fish will not suffer anymore. Both methods are humane and if done correctly kill the fish painlessly.

Do not freeze a fish to death, as it does cause them pain.

14. OP
    OP
    The fish guy11122

I guess you're right. I don't know if she is suffering. She still seems to be able to keep herself straight in the water but the problem is that she can't go in the cichlid tank again and i have no idea how to care for a blind fish and how to get it to feed. Also I wasn't saying a hit to the head was the best way to dispatch of a fish i was just asking

15. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Clove oil or brain spiking/pithing.

16. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_ Well Known Member Member

Try feeding her normally and maybe splash the water a bit when you feed her so she can feel the vibrations. Her other senses will become much stronger than normal since she can't see. Blind fish usually adapt very well and after awhile it could even be hard to tell that she is blind (If you ignore the lack of eyes):)

17. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

If you don't mind the added effort you could always train to hand feed or use pinsetts.

18. OP
    OP
    The fish guy11122

Ok I will try my best to get her back on her feet. So there is definitely no chance she can go back in the cichlid tank if she get back to full health?

19. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

The choice is really up to you. You could wait until tomorrow since she is safe in the fry tank. Try to fee her and see what happens. The feeding issue would be the biggest concern because as stated, you have a community tank she could go in if she could resume a semi normal life. It may take her a few days to eat after what she has been through. If you don't mind, could you give me details on your cichlid tank. Are they all peacocks? What size? How many? What temperature do you keep the tank at?

20. FishWhishes

FishWhishes New Member Member

If it doesn't look like she's suffering I'd give her a second chance.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice