Should I Empty My Tank ? Help Me Decide

Kristina33

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have added a product called bioculture to my tank, photos will be attached for your viewing (I was wrongly told that this would cycle my tank alone by the fish store, I have been waiting 3 weeks for the tank to cycle although test results have stayed the same). I will be adding a dosage of ammonia (2ppm to my 48L tank) to get the nitrogen cycle started. Is it okay to leave the bioculture in the tank and add the ammonia? Can They coexist ? Or do you think it would be better to empty the entire tank and begin fresh only adding the ammonia on its own without the bioculture aquasonic? My current ammonia, nitrate and nitrite readings are shown below in the photos...
what did you guys add to your tank whilst cycling ? Any Water conditioners? A source of Ammonia? Any kind of bacterial start up?

I am desperate to get this right before adding any fish! Thank you in advance

IMG_0587.JPG

IMG_0582.JPG

IMG_0583.JPG
IMG_0584.JPG

Tony M

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would do a 75/80% water change, then start from scratch. Your numbers don't appear to be that far off. I'll bet you'll be good to go in a week or so. When I started my tank about 4 years ago, my LFS gave me a bag of water squeezed out of their filter media. It gave me a huge jump start on bacteria to get the cycle started.

Kristina33

Valued Member
Reaction score
Tony M said:
I would do a 75/80% water change, then start from scratch. Your numbers don't appear to be that far off. I'll bet you'll be good to go in a week or so. When I started my tank about 4 years ago, my LFS gave me a bag of water squeezed out of their filter media. It gave me a huge jump start on bacteria to get the cycle started.
Hey tony, thank you for your response!!! I was completely lost. After the 80% water change, I’ll add the ammonia. Do you think that it’ll be okay to add some form of water conditioner before I begin the nitrogen cycle with ammonia, or do you think I should add water conditioner after the cycle is complete ? Thanks so much! this is so interesting

Kristina33

Valued Member
Reaction score
Tony M said:
After any water change I dose the tank with Prime. Any dechlorinator will do though.
That’s very helpful info, thank you very much for your advice!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom