Should I dump the carbon with fish less cycle?

1. Elvishswimmer Member Member

I have a question along the same lines, and I thought I would ask it here.

I've been doing a fishless cycle with my tank for the last six weeks (I have a post over in the Nitroge Cycle area of the forum on how it is going).

I just got my TSS too, and I get my fish on Friday.

The thing is, I've been running my tank with two carbon filters (one in the Cascade, one in the Top Fin.) for the last 7 weeks or so, Should I cut it and dump the carbon and keep the fabric? Or does it not matter because I've had no fish so far?

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Elvishswimmer I moved your question to a thread of it's own. It'll be less confusing for the OP to keep track of answers directed at his questions and easier for you to keep track of yours. :)

If you haven't changed your carbon for 6 weeks, it would be a good idea to do so before adding TSS and your fish.
    Some members use carbon and some don't, it seems to be a personal choice.

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello. I would like to add to Lucy's good advice. I agree that the carbon should be removed or replaced. (every 3 weeks) Which ever you prefer. I use it around the clock myself. Keep the fabric at least until your tank is cycled. It contains a lot of good bacteria. You can use it until it's falling apart and just rinse it in siphoned tank water when the cycle is complete.
    Ken