Should I Do A Water Change?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by SolidTetra, Aug 23, 2019.

1. SolidTetra

SolidTetraNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Hello, yesterday I purchased 4 more black skirt tetras to add to my existing tank which has 4 black skirts already (60g,Cycled). I tested the tank parameters and the ammonia has rised to .5 ppm. I dont know if I should do a water yet change because that would stress out the new fish. any advice?

2. Herrwibi

HerrwibiValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Do a water change just a precaution and test it later on.

After the water change turn off the lights . It should calm down your fish and let them settle in .

3. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,533
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    So did you ever actually finish cycling your tank? Is this the 60 gallon tank you were doing the "fishless cycling" on 2 weeks ago or the 55 you were talking about back in June, OR the 60 gallon you were discussing back in April? How many tanks do you actually have and which one is this? A better history on this particular tank would help us give you better advice.

4. OP
    OP
    SolidTetra

Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry for the confusion, This tank is the 60g that I cycled without fish, recently

5. Herrwibi

HerrwibiValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    How long has it been cycled and how long after did you add fish ?

What happens is your filter only produces enough beneficial bacteria to cope with the bio-load of your stock . That's why your meant to increase your stocking slowly so that your filter can multiply and handle the load .

6. OP
    OP
    SolidTetra

Ratings:
    +2
    my tank has been cycled for about a week and a half I added new fish as soon as it showed I was cycled which was 3 days after

7. Momgoose56

Ratings:
    +2,533
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Back on August 14th, you said "I am setting up a new 60g and have only added seachem prime..." how exactly did you cycle it? That was only 9 days ago.

8. OP
    OP
    SolidTetra

Ratings:
    +2
    I had a friend help me and we used an ammonia solution by Dr. Tim's Aquatics and a BB solution

9. Momgoose56

Ratings:
    +2,533
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    9 days? Not possible. I believe your tank is cycling now. It would be a good idea to get some Seachem Prime, a good test kit-not strips. The API Master Test kit is a good basic kit and is less expensive than any of the other liquid kits or strips in the long run. Keep your combined ammonia and nitrites to less than 1 ppm witn water changes and dose your tank with Prime to protect your fish while the tank is cycling.