10 Gallon Tank Should I do a 100% Water change for the new fish?

GabiiiR

Hi guys so I have a 10g tank and I had a betta that passed away from dropsy, I did everything I could to save him but he didn’t resist :( I’m thinking to get a new betta fish and don’t know if I need to do a big water change for the new fish. I have 2 other fish tanks that I can put the sponge filter in while I do the water change so the beneficial bacteria don’t die, or what should I do?

StarGirl

Welcome to Fishlore! :)

Dropsy is not contagious so just do a big water change and add you new Betta. Your bacteria will be fine doing the water change. Are you planning on the new fish soon?

GabiiiR

Welcome to Fishlore! :)

Dropsy is not contagious so just do a big water change and add you new Betta. Your bacteria will be fine doing the water change. Are you planning on the new fish soon?
Thank you!

Is a 50% wc good? Maybe in about 1-2 weeks or should I wait longer?

StarGirl

How long has the tank been running? If it is cycled already you can do a 50-75% and add your fish. You dont need to wait.

Fishstic

Thank you!

Is a 50% wc good? Maybe in about 1-2 weeks or should I wait longer?
have you tested the water quality recently? the bacteria dying off overnight is more of myth in my experience I've let my qt sit for a month or 2 with no ammonia source just heat and air pump and make sure they dont dry off completely

GabiiiR

How long has the tank been running? If it is cycled already you can do a 50-75% and add your fish. You dont need to wait.
My tank been running for about 1.5 years, it is cycled. I’ll be bringing home the new betta soon! Thank you for being so nice.

StarGirl

Welcome to the nice forum! ;) Keep me informed how it goes.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Bama
  • Question
Replies
Views
Brizburk
Replies
Views
SparkyJones
Replies