Should I Cull

BillynJennifer

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I noticed this shrimp tonight. It has a lot of white tissue inside. Should I cull it just in case?

AfterlightImage.jpg

OP
BillynJennifer

BillynJennifer

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
richie.p said:
Can you get a closer photo, and what other shrimp are in the tank
It's the offspring of low grade orange neo. I've been trying to get another photo, but it has sort of hidden itself in the plants.

ThePetPavilion

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Personally, I wouldn't cull anything, I would just put in a separate tank so it can live a happy life, but it can't pass on it's genes.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ThePetPavilion said:
Personally, I wouldn't cull anything, I would just put in a separate tank so it can live a happy life, but it can't pass on it's genes.
I think most or us don't kill them but refer to moving them into a different tank as cull tank, yes I know it can be confusing

OP
BillynJennifer

BillynJennifer

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ThePetPavilion said:
Yeah. I was referring to putting into a separate tank to watch to see if it's a bacterial infection or just the color of the shrimp.

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ThePetPavilion said:
I'm dumb. I always thought culling was euthanising.
It is in some cases, but generally they are what we sell to the lfs lol.
I would definitely rehome the shrimp for now to make sure it is just coloration. I don't remember what it is called but there is a disease that makes shrimp like ghost shrimp look cloudy and will eventually kill them once it progresses to their tail section. Better safe than sorry.

OP
BillynJennifer

BillynJennifer

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Common Freshwater Shrimp Disease & Treatments
Scroll about halfway down, this is what I'm afraid this shrimp may have. Muscular Necrosis.

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BillynJennifer said:
This is not my picture, but this is what I'm afraid this shrimp may have. Muscular Necrosis.
That's exactly the disease I was talking about. I read it was treatable up to a point tho. But not after it reaches the tail section.

OP
BillynJennifer

BillynJennifer

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
MrBryan723 said:
That's exactly the disease I was talking about. I read it was treatable up to a point tho. But not after it reaches the tail section.
I'm trying to catch this shrimp to move it to another tank, but it keeps hiding deep in the plants.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BillynJennifer said:
This is not my picture, but this is what I'm afraid this shrimp may have. Muscular Necrosis.
If it's like that try and quarantine, that's why I asked for another photo as it looked white but wasn't sure, if it's that advanced the shrimp as no chance but a photo in a glass will confirm

OP
BillynJennifer

BillynJennifer

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
richie.p said:
Can you get a closer photo, and what other shrimp are in the tank
IMG_1304.JPG

I finally got it out and into a glass before going into quarantine. It looks like it may have some orange color but it's clear with white from body to end of trail.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Try and give us a side view bj I think it should have been dead by now if it was muscular necrosis but you don't know as the white spread at all?, looking top down it could be just the off spring colour

New Threads